nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've removed the grass, turned the soil a bit and scattered some flower seeds. They've sprouted so all is going ok.

I've never had much luck with growing flowers. They grow but don't flower. If i buy full size plants they soon lose the flowers and don't grow new ones. If anyone has any tips i'd appreciate it.

Also, can i use "fish poo water" on them? It's water i've cleaned out of my pond, would be full of nutrients from fish poo. Or is that the wrong kind that flowers need?

cheers

nbh_flowergarden_10072020.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Steve, sounds like your plants are either getting too much nitrogen to prevent flowers developing or your soil needs potassium or both.

Add a good bit of fertilizer at the beginning including potassium and lime to balance your fish poo water from your fish pond.

Then every two weeks sprinkle on a little bit more of everything.

Flowers like a small but constant supply of fertilizer.

Reactions: stevo

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Clissa, Thanks for the suggestions. I will try it all, and hopefully add some updates here. I'd like to try dedicate a larger area of the yard to flowers but want to have some success with a small area first. cheers

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Stevo,

What kind of flowers are you wanting to grow...decorative or for attracting pollinators?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 13, 2013
Clontarf, Qld
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey GKW, mainly for bees as that's my interest. I've started with a few of the commercial seed packs from the shops, that's what's sprouting at the moment. I have also bought a couple packs from another online seed business for pollinator flowers which i have just scattered.

I am aiming for a "wild flower meadow" type look.

RosadeCosta

Jul 12, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hey GKW, mainly for bees as that's my interest. I've started with a few of the commercial seed packs from the shops, that's what's sprouting at the moment. I have also bought a couple packs from another online seed business for pollinator flowers which i have just scattered.

Find out what kinds of wildflowers are native to your area. They’ll most likely like your native soil with just a little compost mixed in. I was surprised to find out echinacea is native to my area and it has done amazingly well with just a once a year dressing of compost. No other amendments needed.

Reactions: stevo and GKW

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Find out what kinds of wildflowers are native to your area. They’ll most likely like your native soil with just a little compost mixed in. I was surprised to find out echinacea is native to my area and it has done amazingly well with just a once a year dressing of compost. No other amendments needed.
Good tip!

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Dec 22, 2019
Sydney
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)

We planted a patch of sunflowers going to last summer and they worked a treat re attracting bees ...only downside was the cockatoos that also enjoyed the sunflowers once they matured. Also had decent results attracting honey and native bees with some cheap $2.00 marigolds from Bunnings and plenty of lavender planted in the raised beds.

I also gave the Mrs Fothergills a lash and planted out a few spare pots (with own compost and some leftover potting mix) for testing last summer. Initially I thought it was dud product. Took 4 weeks plus to even see them start to sprout and then they all looked like weeds...but I left them alone then all of sudden, lovely little buds and flowers. Still going strong at this stage of a Sydney winter. I suspect if I seeded a large area, lightly top dressed with some compost / potting mix (and over seeded once the first seeds came up) I'd get something sorta resembling that pic on the pack going by how my large planter pots have gone.

Going to seed out some more pots / trays and place around the garden with these seeds come Spring.

1594532707926.png

Silver Egg

Premium Member
Oct 8, 2015
Belgium
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
There are many types of flowers but in general they like poor soil, too much fertiliser only lets the grasses grow faster and that is competetion. Cut the grass, take away the clippings. I woul try a few different mixes, you can get them perennial or for one year growth. The perennial ones usually take a time before they blossom so you can mix in a few pioneer flowers for that instant gratification effect.