G'Day from Newcastle

Les

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Everyone

Im from Newcastle NSW. I found Mark's channel when looking for solutions to my weed garden :)

Combined with binge-ing episodes of River Cottage, Mark's channel really got me motivated to get really stuck in to getting the most out of an unutilised area of my yard.

Les

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks for the welcome AndrewB. When I bought my place the area used to be a vege patch and I used it for broccoli, cauliflower and beans. It got ravaged by white moths so I gave up on it.

I have cleared it all out and was in ripped out a couple of tree stumps and found a massive termite nest. So am now in the 21 day period after treatment where I cant disturb the area.

From my planning I will have about 12m2 to use. I am targeting things we will use like spinach/kale, carrot, onion, brocoli, leek, beans and onion.

Unfortunately my plan to build hugel beds have been thwarted by the presence of termites but I have decided I will do something similar but using straw instead of wood. I will get them composting before covering with soil.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I found Mark's channel when looking for solutions to my weed garden :)
G'day Les and thanks for joining SSC mate!

We back onto bushland here (heavily wooded) there's plenty of termites...

Les

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Theres no convincing the boss that it's fine. In the end any organic matter is going to work. Straw will just break down way faster. More room for compost :)

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I know all about those moths, they did a number on my broccoli & cauliflower last year. If you have the space, put in a little frog pond, between the frogs & lizards, the moths are not much of a problem this year.

Also, bunnings sell a cheap grow tunnel that is really handy while things are establishing to stop them being eaten.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What a great organic-friendly idea Andrew...I hate the idea of the cabbage dust so I’ve stopped trying with brassicas. I don’t have space for a pond but might try again with a cover seeing as they don’t need fertilising...

Melanie

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I LOVE River Cottage made my first mead from local honey after watching the show. purchased my first dragonfruit cuttings after watching Mark posing under his pot on a tree stump . I've always loved the taste of dragon fruit but not so much the price . Coles here in Kurri Kurri had some very sad looking small white flesh ones for $3.50 each ther were not much bigger then a small school box pear now I have one 3 year old cutting and about 10 , 6 month old cuttings need lots of patients because we have had shocking weather .

Top Bottom