G'day all From Mildura

Mar 19, 2020
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Just saying hello and a bit about me
I have 10 years of meat cattle livestock experience alongside with some experience in the chicken egg industry. have traditionally provided all of my meat through hunting or growth most of my life. Very happy to help anyone who has questions in these area's .

We have 10 acres (with horticulture water) that is at current bare red desert of really nice red loam soil I am pretty keen to get this area to produce as much as we can for ourselves the goal isn't full self sufficiency but get back to making our own sheep, cattle, chicken, quail, ducks , fruit, citrus and veges. seems like a wonderful opportunity to take 10 acres of arid desert river flats and turn it into a thriving food bowl.

I am here to learn about fruit and citrus trees mainly but also building soils up

Also I love growing oak tree's so if anyone has any acorns from weird species let me know

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2019
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Charles welcome we have very similar plans we have 70 acres of very rough country completely covered in lantana and lots of nasty weeds we have been at it just over 12 months and have a reasonable veggy patch and just planting out orchard now. Hope to be ready for goats and chooks in the near future just have to curtail the dingos. Cheers Dave

Mar 19, 2020
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Hi Charles welcome we have very similar plans we have 70 acres of very rough country completely covered in lantana and lots of nasty weeds we have been at it just over 12 months and have a reasonable veggy patch and just planting out orchard now. Hope to be ready for goats and chooks in the near future just have to curtail the dingos. Cheers Dave
Nice as difficult as it is there is nothing more satisfying that overcoming those challenges

AZ Orchard

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2020
Arizona, USA
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Welcome:) I wish you well in your plans there. I dream of maybe two acres at most to do the same with.
I grew up with chickens and ducks, and I would love a rural property that would allow such animals in the future.