Garlic growing question

Noosagardener

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I planted my garlic in Noosa QLD early April and for the first time in 7 years I have many large wonderful bulbs fattening up in the garden. Unnervingly one variety which was the strongest of the 3 types has started to sprout from the cloves of my newly formed and pridefully large bulbs. The Question I pose is wether I should pull the plants now, which by my calculation is at least 6 weeks early, or do I leave them to sprout further? can one cure an already sprouted clove or are they now only suitable for fresh cooking and not storing?

Noosagardener

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
CCFC549A-5159-422E-8D94-73365694AC7E.jpeg
29E32266-6C60-467B-9AFC-F425A2DC7129.jpeg
8D8D000B-5BD6-454C-B398-C1E25BC5C5CB.jpeg

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Witches broom, no good for long storage. We dehydrated and used for garlic powder. No point leaving it, plant is putting energy into new sprouts.

This is what it looks like without the foliage - this was overnight growth after being cut

Last edited:

Noosagardener

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great answer, Thanks. If you Youtube Witches Broom Garlic, there is a video of a lady who let hers sprout and then harvested and dried as normal and she said that they lasted longer than her ones that didn't sprout. They won't be viable for using as seed for the next season as they have sprouted already. She says its from the heat which could be. I will let mine keep growing and see how it goes.

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It's not entirely from heat, but rather fluctuating temps. The hot/cold/hot/cold throws the garlic out of cycle and resprouts. It can happen to even the most expert growers, and is unavoidable unless you want to grow in a temp controlled environment. Let us know how it goes storing, I only store seed long term and the rest is processed

wine-pirate

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I would be interested in the variety you planted, also being a Queenslander. My garlic grop got attacked by aphids. Depending on your variety, from the pictures it looks like Italian pink variety, the Tasmanian Gourmet Garlic recommends harvesting Extra Early Harvest, when died back to 6 green leaves.
They have alot of great information.
Allan

Noosagardener

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Italian Pink, Italian red and Glenlarge. I splashed out and bought bulbs from The Seed Garlic shop online. I harvested the pink today, they were losing colour and I was afraid they would sprout, 6 months from planting! They are huge in comparison to other years.

Top Bottom