Garden visits

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mark just wanted to pass an idea past you to see if it has any momentum . We seem to have many members in SE Qld and was wondering about perhaps setting up some garden visits , if different members were so inclined , yourself included , " open days " could include plant and seed exchange , a tour of relevant garden and maybe morning tea we could all contribute in someway, if successful other areas in Australia could perhaps form similar " sub groups " relative to their area . We all have different climates and plants and growth patterns here are so different elsewhere , newcomers to the area could benefit greatly, share your thoughts , loving the forum , well done cheers Raymondo (Ray)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah I do like the idea Ray and to be honest "open days" is something I have been considering strongly for some time - we get a lot of requests... :)

The thing is, I'm not too sure about it just yet for several reasons such as security, facilities, insurance, event timing etc.

But that's just for my place - I'd be happy to meet up with people for a brew or attend someone's garden.

I can see our property being ready for hosting such an event in about 12 months time. We have a few things to work through first (and some renovations to do) but the short answer is, yes, it would be fun.

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for the reply Mark , that's good we are on the same page , it's a shame we now get caught up with the insurance thing , used to be , have an open day , people came and all was good , damn those bloody lawyers and their litigation , where has people's own responsibility gone , if you tripped up, your fault , end of story, can't use a disclaimer eh ? Let's keep the idea alive anyway , warts and all cheers Ray

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Just my two-cents, I think it'd be smart for Mark to not allow any tom, dick and harry onto his property as the "prepper" community can be a bit odd... not dangerous of course just odd. Once people have your address, your families privacy is "gone". In my opinion you'd need to vett people before even considering it :)

I think the community events where you visit people have a lot less of a chance of something going wrong. Nothing says community quite like a nice BBQ and fresh veggies.

Perhaps the real question is how many people could be expected to attend that sort of thing? Here in Melbourne people are hesitant to travel for more than 2 hours and even that's a stretch.

Kind Regards,

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Well I guess that's Melbourne or should we just say cities , out in the country I have always found folks to be friendly and accomodating , all types of communities can have their odd ones but do we have to live our life looking over our shoulder for them , I tend to feel generosity will attract the "right" types , maybe I am an optimist but I am comfortable with that , and life goes on , numbers don't really matter it's the sharing of knowledge I was more interested in , cheers Raymondo

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Raymond if you are ever Coming up Gladstone way let me know you are welcome to drop in here. Cheers Dave

Raymondo

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'll take a rain check on that thanks Dave we do sometimes pass that way and we will be sure to give you a call cheers Ray, a mutual offer is always there if you are so inclined

Reactions: DTK

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks Ray that would be nice. Dave

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There are several of us handy enough to the Bruce highway in Qld that a traveller could embark on a garden crawl and stop by for a quick tour or stay overnight.
I would be happy to have people drop by or travellers stay o'night at my place.
But right now with the drought and all, I can't go away to visit anyone.

Or maybe two or more members might like to travel in convoy just for the company on the road.
A bit like 'here comes the SSM member's road train and party'!:cheers:

Last edited:
Top Bottom