G”day from the Koji prepper

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Sue McGlasson, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Sue McGlasson

Sue McGlasson Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    G’day from Kojonup WA. We have been here 18 months and are finally getting the hang of the local climate. Hot and dry one day, cool the next, always a wind in the afternoon and at least 50% overcast in the morning till it clears. Makes life interesting. Thanks to Mark for his YouTube channel. We retreated to the bush after realising that the urban noise was completely bonkers and have started prepping for the future. I’m starting to build the garden back after the elderly owners had obviously not turned a sod for some time. It’s a journey.....g’day to all.

• Like Like x 1
  2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi there Sue and family, welcome.

We look forward to seeing photos and reading of your experiences.
    As long as you have water, your climatic conditions don't matter so much.
    You can always erect shade if the sun is too hot on your plants.
    Or a windbreak if the breeze gets too strong.
    But nothing edible will grow successfully without water!

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    G'day Sue, thanks for joining SSC and I can relate to your statement so much! Yes, there is a place for the big city and many people do love that lifestyle but some of us would rather visit the big smoke rather than live in it for our own well being.

Don't forget to interact some more on our forums to progress onto "Gold" membership. Cheers ;)

4. AZ Orchard

AZ Orchard Active Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    Welcome Sue:) Good Luck with all of your plans and I too would love to see your progress.

5. Sue McGlasson

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    The straw bale system is in my back yard right now. still conditioning and the birds buzz over the top with the increased insects. great to watch. Has anyone done this? I am giving it the red hot go and about to build the surrounds of the beds. even though we get a couple of hot days here and there, the season is definitely shifting, so it will be root crops and experimental stuff. But I still have tomatoes and the ubiquitous zucchini!
    Thanks in advance for any advice on this.

6. Wedgetail

Wedgetail Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi Sue hows Kojonup ?I lived in Lake Grace for 18 years .I have started using hay bales across the slopes to stop erosion in our orchard and then fill with soil on the upside of the bails and plant the fruit trees as the bales breakdown we will cover them with soil and it will become compost for the fruit trees. Cheers Dave

7. Sue McGlasson

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Hi Dave. Koji will be just the same except for the current issues around health. As there are a lot of retired people here, a number of them are very anxious, and businesses are trying to cope.
    Good job with the bales! I’m presently building my surrounds for the bales from scrounged timber and tin. Hope to have some photos soon. Look forward to seeing more on this forum, as I’m devoting more of my time now to just getting the garden to food production. It’s a task for sure.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
  8. Tombr

Tombr Active Member

Howard Springs, Northern Territory Howard Springs
    Climate:
    Tropical
    Hi Sue, Agree with CassAt and Mark, Visit the big smoke, not a chance. But would love to know how your handle the hot an dry. Darwin has a dry season where we don't see rain for 5 to 6 month. I'm thinking of putting a rain tank in to hold enough water for at least 3 to 4 month for the plants.
    cheers
    tom

9. Sue McGlasson

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Gidday Tom.
    We have a bit of hot and last year was quite dry, so farmers in the area were lucky to get enough to get a crop but the yields were down and they are feeding sheep. We did use water as we are lucky to have good mains water, but we do normally start the day in gray. it has good overnight weather here.
    I know Darwin well. I lived in Halls Creek for 20 years. We had a daughter at the Uni in Cas, and we often went there for plane maintenance. I remember the Wet, and the Dry very well! So when I see every one faint at the sight of 38 deg it does make me chuckle a bit. When I got to Halls Creek in January, it was in excess of 45 deg every day! Still think the NT Times do the BEST headlines on the front page. I miss it. I really miss the very real colour, and the openness of the landscape. Nothing like the Territory , you always know when you cross the border. Suntanned arms and akubra hats, land cruiser Utes with horn decals and red dirt. And that's just the girls!
    The tank is a great idea and mulch mulch mulch. that's all I can suggest. Everything grows up there with some water.
    Cheers
    Sue

10. Tombr

Tombr Active Member

Howard Springs, Northern Territory Howard Springs
    Climate:
    Tropical
    Hi Sue
    My bad, had Halls Gap Vic in mind, Halls Creek WA was your place. :nuts:Ha Ha 45 in Halls Gap. Any way went through Halls Creek two years ago, wanted to go to Wolfs Creek in a tent, like you said 45 in the day, I say -45 at night :noproblem:not a chance :). Will do that in summer. Ha Ha.

But yes we are on town water and in the dry it costs a fortune, so will need to put a tank in at some stage. Yes the NT headlines are what the territory is about. We came up here 10 years ago from the Dandenong's (Belgrave) -45 day or night, I wont be going further south than Katherine Ha ha.

I'm, mulching all my trees and it does help so I fully agree. Still trying to get my vanilla plants to flowers. Sweet potato's are growing under the tall grass, and the mint is 6ft tall don't know what to do with it though, cannot drink that much tea.

cheers

tom