Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
This is the Fruit Saver fruit tree net along with the instructions that I got with the package. These nets are supposed to protect fruit trees from animals, birds, insects, and most importantly for me FRUIT FLY. I have purchased 1 x large Fruit Saver net and a pack of 3 x medium sized nets. Got them here off eBay. Mine were shipped from a seller in NSW (Australia).

The largest Fruit Saver net they make for retail is a 2.5m x 2.5m roof with a 2.5m-drop skirt and the medium sized ones are 2m x 2m roof and a 2m-drop skirt. These nets are quite expensive with the average cost of a large net around $55 and the medium at about $45 depending on how many you buy and other discounts etc.

There's also a Mini Fruit Saver fruit tree net at 1m x 1m roof and a 1.5m-drop skirt - I guess this could be used for potted fruit trees or dwarf varieties (particularly stone fruits).

I decided to only get 4 Fruit Saver nets all up for now so I can trial them and see if they actually are as good as they say! I'll keep this thread updated and let people know how I'm using the nets, on what fruit trees, and what I really think of them.

Initially, I was hesitant to buy the nets simply because of the cost but they are supposed to be very strong and should last up to 10 years so I should get my worth out of them especially if I use the same net for several different trees throughout the year. And, considering the price of fruit has just increased by 15% in Oz over the past 12 months I should be able to recoup the costs in a few seasons - if I really want to look at it that way and try to justify the outlay...

Fruit Saver Fruit Tree Net Instructions Protect against animals and fruit fly 800.jpg

This is how they arrived in the post: the large package on the left is the bundled 3 pack of mediums and the one on the right is the single large fruit tree net.

Fruit Saver nets still in packaging protect against fruit fly animals and birds.jpg

I'll set them up soon and take a few pics (probably do a video too). :)

Jenni

Premium Member
Hi Mark, Can you take a closeup photo of the mesh. Does it need to be really fine to keep out fruit flies.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Jenni, the Fruit Saver netting mesh is just like regular mozzie netting (maybe slightly larger) the fruit fly itself is about the size of a house fly. I think the netting holes are about 2 mil.

close up of fruit saver net for fruit fly protection.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks better than the stuff I have. Mine is more of a weave. View attachment 1010
Well if it stops normal flies than it will probably stop fruit fly so it doesn't matter how it's made I guess. Is yours UV rated?

Besides my apples and stone fruit rapidly growing in size, capsicum (peppers in the USA) should start to be in full swing soon around here and fruit fly love them! I'm going to try some of the medium nets over a round raised garden bed where my caps are and see if I can get a good season out of them.

Jenni

Premium Member
Is yours UV rated

I am not sure.. I have chucked out the packet.. They call it a bird netting though so probably not.

I tried capsicum last year without any real success. I don't have the space this year but will have to try again.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am not sure.. I have chucked out the packet.. They call it a bird netting though so probably not.
Well if it's sold for outdoor use it should be I think. I have some standard bird netting (the big holed stuff) and it lasts 5 or more years in the beating sun.

Jenni

Premium Member
That could be a really good thing.

Am I right in saying they lie dormant in the ground until breeding season?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Am I right in saying they lie dormant in the ground until breeding season?
Yeah, that's about it. Breed up over spring/summer then pupate through winter for the cycle to begin again.

Got this shot today with my phone of a fruit fly stinging one of my West Indian cucumbers :mad:

fruit fly rear view stinging cucumber west indian.jpg

fruit fly stinging cucumber west indian.jpg

Jenni

Premium Member
Great photo I have never really seen a fruit fly up close.. I hope you managed end his day...

Breed up over spring/summer then pupate through winter for the cycle to begin again

As you say mark could you net the infected area and then when they hatch they are trapped give them a spray. At least you are keeping the chemicals off the fruit.

Is there a product out there that you can spray onto the infected area to kill them off while they are dormant?

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Is there a product out there that you can spray onto the infected area to kill them off while they are dormant?
I've never heard of one. Apparently, the cycle of life is about 4 weeks but obviously they build numbers in summer and then drop off considerably in winter. Spraying the ground wouldn't be effective even with a pesticide I reckon.

Here's some other fruit fly threads if someone is interested:

http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/fruit-fly-trap-commercial-type.243/
http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/i-ended-my-war-with-the-fruit-flies.493/
http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/parsnip-juice-to-control-fruit-fly.570/
http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/easy-and-cheap-diy-fruit-fly-trap.245/

There's also this other attractant, which was recommended to me only yesterday by a couple who run the envircycle inspections in our area (we often chat about the garden when they are here) and these guys swear by WILD MAY FRUIT FLY ATTRACTANT https://www.mozzie.com.au/index.php?page=wild-fruit-fly-attractent

The attractant works similar to other commercial types and attracts the males to a trap. It could be worth a shot and I'd be interested if anyone else has used this brand before. I'm still yet to use some commercial attractant I purchased last season (different brand) because basically I tend to harvest the fruit which isn't affected and any that is fruit fly maggot blown I feed to the chooks!

I just harvested about 7 kgs of cucumbers and they were all good besides one being stung but no maggot developed. Also, I'm still harvesting large Black Russian tomatoes and although I have lost half the crop to fruit fly we've still had enough. Often, if you get to the fruit early enough the bad bits can be cut out and most of the fruit is fine to eat.

Pink

Great photo. I don't think I've actually seen one before. It's a never ending battle against mother nature and all it's creatures. Hope it works. Now all we need is something to keep the wallabies, rabbits, hares, lawn grubs and the rest of those pesky varmints off our fruit trees. On a side note does anyone know how to do a rain dance. Pleeeeeese!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Great photo. I don't think I've actually seen one before. It's a never ending battle against mother nature and all it's creatures. Hope it works. Now all we need is something to keep the wallabies, rabbits, hares, lawn grubs and the rest of those pesky varmints off our fruit trees. On a side note does anyone know how to do a rain dance. Pleeeeeese!
It got to 43 C here today! My bore is working overtime watering my patch and fruit trees :shock:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've noticed some holes in my new fruit saver net where it seems the mesh has been pushed over because the weave is too loose. That's annoying...

I can sort of push it back into place so no insects can get through but I am still a little disappointed to find holes in a new net!

Covering small plum tree.

fruit saver net over plum tree with hole.jpg

Top Bottom