Question Fruit recommendations

OrganicDisposalInitiative

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Howdy guys, after a little advice. I live on the Yorke Peninsula (Tiddy Widdy Beach) and I am looking at growing some fruit but not quite sure on what to put it. Ideally something that is more on the small shrub end of the scale. Around the area we have peaches, oranges, lemons, cactus fruit and few other natives like quandongs growing so I am looking for something for my backyard for my own use. I have a fence section that I will most likely grow another couple passionfruits or even grapes along, not overly sure yet and was thinking maybe a small kumquat or two and possibly a fig but not sure. Advice would be much appreciated

cheers all
Jacob

GKW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Whilst not a tree how's the soil for grapes?

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Like all the soil around my property it needs some aeration, mix of organic matter/compost and manure added but I don't see why not. If I was able to find a nice variety to grow I would definitely be up for giving it ago.

Matthew Duke

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have a fence section that I will most likely grow another couple passionfruits or even grapes along, not overly sure yet and was thinking maybe a small kumquat or two and possibly a fig but not sure.

Good ideas, I was going to say to consider Cumquats, Pomegranates or Blueberries. Passionfruits would be lovely if you don't mind a vine :)

Soil sounds good, with care you could grow all sorts of things.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Good ideas, I was going to say to consider Cumquats, Pomegranates or Blueberries. Passionfruits would be lovely if you don't mind a vine :)

Soil sounds good, with care you could grow all sorts of things.

I do already have a 2 year old non grafted passion fruit along my front fence with about 20+ fruit on it. If I am able to find a nice grape I have also thought about growing some grapes for the sole purpose of homemade wine.

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Just to give you all a better understanding, I have attached pictures of the area I am working with. Soil still needs working and the addition of organic matter, manure, compost etc. in all area and possibly some higher raised beds at the back against the fence. Will eventually be putting up a bit of a chicken wire trellis along the fence for any passion fruit or grapes I may plant.

Attachments

• 20200317_145126.jpg
    20200317_145126.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 430
  • 20200317_145114.jpg
    20200317_145114.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 349

spector

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I don't know how well it grows there, but pineapple guava grows well, once established, in poorer soils and is drought tolerant. They are inexpensive to buy as gallon plants, and if allowed to do so, they will grow and spread and form a green wall with fruit as a benefit. With pruning, you can keep them down to shrub size.

Loquat is a nice, smaller, tree.

I love kumquats and most citrus, and they can all be kept reasonably small.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Have you thought about more instant fruits like pepino (google it) which is a bush that spreads on the ground.
Depends on how much water you have and what the humidity is for the hottest part of the year and what your pH is.
If it's acidic then blueberries, blackberries or raspberries are the thing to grow. But if its alkaline then rockmelons, watermelons, cherries, figs or plums.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Jacob,
We just ate a bowl of lychee and mango ... grow the unusual, Mate !!

Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva
lychee & mango.jpg

Justin M

Permaculture enthusiast
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Howdy guys, after a little advice. I live on the Yorke Peninsula (Tiddy Widdy Beach) and I am looking at growing some fruit but not quite sure on what to put it. Ideally something that is more on the small shrub end of the scale. Around the area we have peaches, oranges, lemons, cactus fruit and few other natives like quandongs growing so I am looking for something for my backyard for my own use. I have a fence section that I will most likely grow another couple passionfruits or even grapes along, not overly sure yet and was thinking maybe a small kumquat or two and possibly a fig but not sure. Advice would be much appreciated

cheers all
Jacob
If you are after a bush you could consider kiwi berries? Additionally a little larger bush pomegranate? I guess it depends how long you're prepared to wait before fruit bearing age.

Banksia

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi, i am coming a bit late to this thread but wanted to let you know that we are in Wagga, southern NSW, temperate climate and have had success with some tropical fruit trees.

One is a Fejoa (Pineapple Guava) and although still small it has fruited already. Delicious. I also have a grafted Peach/Nectarine tree (one tree - two types of fruit) which is doing well. Unfortunately there is a fruit fly problem locally so I have to net them when they fruit.

I also have a cool climate Avocado tree - Bacon variety. It takes 4 years to flower and fruit. Self fertile but better with a second tree. I have a second one (Pinkerton variety) arriving shortly from Daleys Fruit Trees. But I am excited to say that yesterday I found a beautiful avocado on the ground under the first tree (Bacon). So that shows that even if temperate climates it is possible to grow these avocado trees and they fruit! When these trees are young they do need protection from frost and harsh sunlight, but only during peaks of bad weather for the first few years.

All the above trees are either dwarf varieties or smaller trees which I will contain by heavy prunning.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
When I bought my Mexicola Avocado tree, the Master Gardener told me not to expect "good" fruit for 5-6 years. That even if the tree produced fruit, it would not be tasty . This year, we got 1 lonely fruit. When it was soft to the touch, I harvested, and boy was she right ... It tasted like sh*****t
lol
The Great news is that when it blossoms it has hundreds of blooms and the honey bees LOVE it. I have never seen this many bees in the yard in over 50 years, so I know I do not have a "collapse" issue here.
Guess I am waiting now.

P J, the Dirt Diva

Top Bottom