Frost protection

LeahB

Feb 4, 2021
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
How do people protect their frost-sensitive plants from frost? We're heading into frost season here, and I've got a young tamarillo (tree tomato) that I want to survive the winter.

Daniel RM

Premium Member
Jun 18, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Leah, where do you have your young tamarillo? In-ground or Pot? or is it still in a seedling stage?

LeahB

Feb 4, 2021
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Dave,

I planted it in spring, and it's grown to about 1.8m since then. No branching yet, still just straight up and down. It's mulched, which should help with protection, hopefully, and is also planted close to a west-facing wall and in a spot that is relatively sheltered from wind.

t4tim

May 1, 2021
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Hi Leah,

My late Italian grandfather used to tie a thick layer of newspapers around the trunk of his fig tree every fall to protect it from the cold Pennsylvania winters. It worked very well for him for years. You can’t believe how many figs that tree used to produce.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mary Playford

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
May 31, 2019
Collie WA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I live in a cold area in the hills and the frost comes in and kills anything not hardened.
But the trick that everyone here uses is to wrap a layer of whatever around is, so hessian, shade cloth, newspaper, etc. The frost apparently "rolls" in, so moves along at ground level, so by wrapping something around is will protect it.
Personally I cannot be bothered with all that, so if the frost kills it, I am not meant to grow it :cool:

Rick

Premium Member
GOLD
Aug 23, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Leah, i use covers to help extend my season. were i live the frost hit hard and fast. Had some good success. The plastic cover also allows me to plant seedlings /seeds in the colder months so I can have my winter crops grow longer as well. Even though these are 1 mtr high covers perhaps you could use something like that to help keep your tamarillo (tree tomato) alive. Say even a wire mesh in a cylinder and covered in 2 layers of clear plastic. Helps trap a bit or heat in between the layers. Still Let a bit of air in as well or the tree may go moldy

Attachments

Reactions: Mary Playford