Freezing Avocados

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Kasalia, Feb 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kasalia

Kasalia http://retired2006.blogspot.com.au/ Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    My sister informs me that you can freeze avocados, sliced as is or however were her words. I put 1/2 one in,peeled, it froze, then in the fridge to thaw, and it seemed alright but a bit brown, just put it on a plate nothing else. I can't believe after all this time with lots going bad over the years, cause I just didn't get to that last couple, that you can do this. Just bought a 2nd tree too.

Has anyone done this?

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    No I haven't tried but I will next time I have an avo. Interesting :)

3. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    OK due to the fact that 3 out of 6 avocados are beating me and I will have to freeze or lose, I had to check up on this.
    Wiki How said this
    • Whole avocados cannot be frozen; they turn out to be a mushy mess. Chunks and slices do not work either––the avocado needs to be mashed or pureed.
    • White vinegar can be used in place of lemon or lime juice. The juice or vinegar help prevent the avocado from browning.

You can cut a whole one in half and remove seed, spray with juice, wrap each in cling, freeze then place in a zip lock, dated.
      Some people claim that the texture of the avocado isn't as pleasant after freezing.

California Avocado Blog says
      How to Freeze Mashed Avocados. Place your scooped avocados into a bowl and drizzle with the juice of half a lemon. Mash the avocados to your preferred texture – I like mine chunky. Place in a zip tight freezer safe bag, remove the air and you're done!

So I am off to freeze, it seems to be for a future Guacamole Dip , which is fine with me, or spreading it on a sandwich or wrap as a paste.

4. Letsgokate

Letsgokate Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Wondering if you vac sealed it after freezing if that would help.

Also you can use the mashed avo to make raw chocolate mouse. Avo, add sweeter (agave nectar/honey), cocoa and some coconut cream/milk yummy :) Can use Almond milk and add vanilla as well. I've also frozen this no worries.

5. Kasalia

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Just got back from holidays, and while away used my frozen mashed Avocado with lime juice as a dip. Just added chopped tomato and it was fine, maybe not as good as fresh but good enough while camping. Just now need to squeeze in a space for my 2nd tree.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Interesting update! Good to know it can be done :)