Forum upgrade

Discussion in 'Announcements, Rules, Admin Questions' started by Mark, Jul 26, 2018.

?

Do you want our forum to be upgraded?

Poll closed Aug 26, 2018.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Not just yet (maybe in 12 months)

2 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Dear Forum Members,

the software platform powering our forum has recently released a major upgrade and I wanted to get your thoughts on whether upgrading our Forum is something you'd be happy to see considering the following points:
    • The "skin" or forum "look" will change completely to something new and more modern.
    • Many of the features and addons will be different and may take several visits for you to get used to the new site.
    • There will be downtimes both scheduled and non-scheduled to fix bugs/issues created when conducting the upgrade.
    Overall, security and general operation should be better - at the end of the day, they've upgraded their software to improve it of course.

I could keep running this version for another 12 months or so as it is still completely supported and secure but I just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Let me know what you think and also have your vote in the corresponding poll.

Cheers :)

2. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm always up for any changes, what could possibly go wrong? :cheers:

• Like Like x 1
  3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'd like to see screenshots of the new format.
    I like this format (skin). It's easy on the eye and easy to read with little clutter.
    The more modern skins make me edgey so I generally leave that forum.
    This new stuff suits young people mostly.
    But I understand that this platform is suffering certain difficiencies or short comings.
    As the forum membership gets bigger, so the issues will become more complicated.

Anyway I voted to wait 12mths. I would add that the change should be slow and progressive with the old forum remaining in parallel for as long as possible.
    Personally, I'm still struggling with a less than perfect computer, so still resorting to this frustrating tablet with its own short comings.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It seems that waiting for 12 months might be the consensus...

There's no rush - I'll revisit the upgrade next year then :thumbsup: