Question Food swap

Justin Dallas

Premium Member
Website
www.justindallas.co.za
Hi all! Been watching a few shows from Aus, & something that really got me thinking was the idea of a Food Swap - basically, local hobby or self sufficient growers get together & swap there produce - theres no pricing, or anything like that ... just local people trading & sharing produce. Its an aspect that I love in theory - but, I can see potential pitfalls - this is where Id love to get your input.

Also, on my land/home, I have quite a large space that Ive built behind my house (I love building - its around 130sq/m in size), I use it as an office & storeroom at the moment - but, thought perhaps could turn that into a community grocery store - on a swap basis.
Do you think this could work?

I was also thinking that I could hold stock for amazing growers locally - organic meat producers, raw milk producers - sort of as a local collection point. Where their customers could collect the items (instead of having to drive to the country).

Panorama1.jpg

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's a great idea Justin and I'm sure it is totally doable if you are willing to be the organising hub for the produce and admin coordinator.

Naturally, you'd have to be happy for people to come to your place and nothing is for free because refrigeration and even time costs money.

I would probably have some strict and simple timings and rules around delivery/swap/collection.

Possibly an online resource to show what is available in real time also where people can pledge the amount and type of produce they are willing to swap for an upcoming swap event etc... you could use a dedicated thread here on SSC if you like or create your own full website!

I would start pretty low key in the beginning maybe once a month and then increase the swap or coordinate delivery/pick up as it grows in popularity.

Have you asked around locally for interest in the concept or is there something similar in your area already?

Justin Dallas

Premium Member
Website
www.justindallas.co.za
Mark thanks - using a web based system is definately something to consider. With things like facebook & twitter etc... thats something that could be used really well.

There is not really anything like this - all 'business' models are for profit, generally getting the cheapest produce & selling for the largest markeup. Without support, small growers or sustainable producers cant grow their brands & are ultimately doomed - relying on the odd food fair, or saturday farmers market.

Good idea on the refrigeration aspect - perhaps better to think along canned goods, limited seasonal fresh produce & a couple of freezers. My initial thought would be that the actual companies (meat / milk / cheese producers) would possibly bring in their own fridges - but, I think the whole idea would be not keeping stock for any length of time - its not a store, its a temporary space for goods in-transit.

Committing time & opening my space isnt at all a problem - its a great ability to influence people to start a small garden, to raise their own animals for food.

I also take your idea on starting small - I often go head into things on a massive scale. I do appreciate your input.

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
Yeah some of the logistics and bartering could maybe be done online, but you could also benefit from a brokerage-type arrangement, bartering fresh for dried/tinned and/or a dehydrating/preserving service with enough mark-up to cover your costs. Maybe a clean jar/bottle repository. Anything to minimise refrigeration costs and value-add without too much time input. Just a few ideas to fertilise the mind. Good on you for thinking in a community-minded way!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Top Bottom