Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
St Andrews, Victoria
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
The first of 3 beds made from a reclaimed water tank is almost ready
I’ve filled it with spent hay, mushroom compost and composted green waste, which I sieved the component out of it that had turned to soil
Green waste mulch was gotten from the next councils tip and has been sitting there 12-18 months so small stuff was well composted
I’ll throw a bit of blood and bone into it and some mulched straw on top
Total cost $7 for the blood and bone and straw is from the Chook’s bedding
Only 2 more to go
The larger mulch left over from sieving is being put around the fruit trees
Cheers
4B88E436-B567-4BC2-AFA6-50BF6C33FA2E.jpeg 1FE9A20B-ED3E-4875-9E16-298A735F4111.jpeg 25DCA102-4325-4B21-9665-E6FB34A06992.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Wedgetail and Vicky

Vicky

Premium Member
GOLD
Mar 27, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Oh Nice, Lucas, we have done the same thing here. one of my things was to throw all the fallen branches in the bottom of the beds when we first placed them. The smaller branches that we were not saving to burn in our wood heater, the two beds that got the most (they are smaller tanks) were layered with branches and whatever else we got in between putting any soil in them. They are producing REALLY well, kind of the hugelkultur idea but on a smaller scale. Worth considering for your next beds. That's a lot of growing space there!! Also, I bought those little unglazed terracotta pots and glued some together to make ollas which I have also put in these beds because they do dry out a lot, especially in summer. Well done!!

Reactions: Wanda and Lucas

Wanda

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 16, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks great! Low cost and using materials at hand is sooo satisfying.

Wedgetail

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 22, 2019
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Nice job Lucas you will have veggies in abundance in no time at all. Dave