Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've heard about the benefits of feeding sprouted seeds and beans to quail but never seen it or tried it personally (on a large scale anyway).

Quail don't usually eat kitchens scraps (lettuce etc) like chickens do so it's a little harder to feed quail fresh produce and very difficult to free-range them due to their predator vulnerability and flying ability.

I came across this interesting video which shows feeding quail alfalfa sprouts which I reckon is a really good idea and a pretty simple cost effective way to give quail an occasional feed of fresh greens.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
As I was writing on another discussion http://www.selfsufficientculture.com/threads/quail-food-supplements.442/ I realised I hadn't updated this thread so here's an update: I bought some alfalfa from the supermarket the other day because it was on special (almost past due by date) and fed it too my quail. There's no doubt quail do like eating alfalfa!

So alfalfa is confirmed as a good way to get some fresh greens into your backyard quail! Whether it's purchased already grown or the cheaper option is to grow your own I think it's a definite winner to serve as a treat.

David Trees

Premium Member
I saw a lady on YT free ranging her Quail on her farm in Southern France, in a poly tunnel and green house. The quail were doing in some crop left overs and lettuce/greens of some sort. I also saw another YT video with someone feeding them barley greens too. I will need to find those links and post them here on this string with your permission Mark.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I saw a lady on YT free ranging her Quail on her farm in Southern France, in a poly tunnel and green house. The quail were doing in some crop left overs and lettuce/greens of some sort. I also saw another YT video with someone feeding them barley greens too. I will need to find those links and post them here on this string with your permission Mark.
You can post whatever you see fit here on SSC David (most videos are allowed to be shared if not they usually say so).

Poly tunnel for free ranging quail is a novel idea... I like it! Going to have to think about that :think:

Top Bottom