Farmers Under ATTACK! 5 TIPS to FIGHT Rising COST of FOOD

Mandy Onderwater

Administrator
Staff member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
What are your top tips to fight the rising food costs - and how do you support your local farmers?

Handy tip! Want to talk to Mark directly? Did you know that there is another way, outside the forum?
Support Mark on Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/selfsufficientme (the top tier $25 AU enables mentoring from Mark via an exclusive VIP email where he will answer your questions etc ASAP).

I try to support the local farmers by:
  • Buy at framers markets.
  • Buy at the independent local fruit and veg shop.
I don't have any other tips on that than of trying to stay away from the supermarkets as much as possible when it comes to fruit and veg.

My strategy for fighting the rising cost and other things Mark mentioned will be explained below. There is no specific order in them. Just try to understand that this all interacts with each other. Yeah, I know....Life is Complicated.

Cycles
The first thing that one has to understand is that everything comes in cycles and when you study history you will start to understand that. Don't learn to remember the meaningless dates of something or the names of people involved that is in fact irrelevant to understanding the cycle(s). Your brain has been conditioned to this from an early age by the school system and their curriculum. No, I'm not anti school as you still need to learn the language, maths etc. How else are you able to communicate, read or write. But have you ever wondered why it was/is important to remember dates and names during history class and never been used after that by most of the population? How many people would have asked the question of how did we ever come to this?

Cycles can be a daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, decennia, century or even 10.000 years or more. When you study cycles it involves more than just one topic as each cycle interacts with others. The cycle of the seasons is just one. However this interacts also with another cycle, the solar cycle. The solar cycle is the cycle that the suns magnetic field goes through approximately every 11 years. This cycle interacts with the temperate on earth, making it hotter or cooler. These two cycles interact also with another cycle. The human life cycle. On average we can say a human life cycle is 80 years. In your life depending on your age you might have or might not experienced certain things. Two good reads that explains this very well are written by Neil Howe.
  • The Fourth Turning: An American Prophecy - What the Cycles of History Tell Us About America's Next Rendezvous with Destiny. (1997)
  • The Fourth Turning Is Here: What the Seasons of History Tell Us about How and When This Crisis Will End (2023)
Although it is based on the American society you can easily transform that to the western societies. They are somehow a bit difficult to read, especially if your English is not that great, but they will blow your socks off!

There are plenty of other cycles, such as political, empire building, financial etc. All of these interact with each other. Understanding this or trying to understand this is pretty much a lifetime learning. Hence why your an occasional teacher and a eternal student!

Finance
Ever wondered how our current financial systems works. Well this is a must to understand the basics of rising costs, inflation and eroding of wealth etc. The best series for this to understand is Hidden Secrets of Money. You know the best thing of this is it cost you nothing as it is free to watch on YouTube 🤑 Although it uses the FED as example, you can use any other Central Bank in its place. It is a good binge session and they didn't teach you that in school.

For full disclosure I'M NOT A FINANCIAL ADVISOR!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE88E9ICdipidHkTehs1VbFzgwrq1jkUJ

Mindset & Habits
One of the most important aspects is to deal with your mindset and habits. Not one of us is perfect. Everybody makes mistakes, but you need have the mindset to learn from them.
There are plenty of self help books, videos and courses out there, but you need to find some good basics first to help you to understand who you are and what your weak and strong points are. That sounds easy but trust me it is tougher than you think if you have to be honest with yourself. Below are two good reads that have stood the time.
  • Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill
  • Rich Habits Poor Habits by Tom Corley & Michael Yardney
Has anybody heard of the term preppers? Pretty much I would guess. Usually associated with doomsday mindsets and panic bla bla bla. I acknowledge that such people exist, but it is not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about having a prepared mindset https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivalism

Having a prepared mindset is something that is crucial for life. We all know from the last few years situations that got people thinking. The health crisis, bushfires, floods and geopolitical tensions, broken supply chains etc. But have you ever asked yourself the real question of how well you are prepared when something happened and what consequences it would have for your life style. I know you can't prepare for everything, but ask yourself how long can you last to sustain your current lifestyle. It involves just some basic questions and math to find out the answer.

Need vs Want
Know the difference between what you really need and what you want. To many people in society these days are focussed on 'Keeping up with the Joneses'. This gives them a false believe that they need things, while in fact if crunch time comes they actually don't need it after all as they will easily settle for less to avoid the pain.

Tips
Some tips to help you battling the costs. This is general as each personal situations is different!
  • Set your self a surviving task. E.g. how long can you survive when you don't have enough money to buy food, stuck in a natural disaster setting etc. Set this goal first to a few days and gradually build it up to the timeframe that suits you. I have a range from 2 weeks till 2 years. Depending on the item in question, expiry date and my storing capacity.
  • Buy on special, buy three and get one free, half price specials etc. For example I used this on personal toiletry items (deodorant, soap etc) and was able to build up a two year lasting supply as that was my end goal. As I use it I will replace it and I have the luxury of waiting for specials to replenish and therefore saving money.
  • Sacrifice luxury items. This can be the costs of a take away meals, wine, beer etc. to cover the costs of filling up a pantry in your beginning stages. Don't hesitate to put your pride aside for a better future and a good night sleep.
  • Ask family and friends to save the jars and lids of their preserved food from the supper market. These jars and lids can be reused and overtime the lid will break down, but these are much cheaper to buy/replace than buying new preserving jars. You also safe the planet a bit from landfill and holes in the ground.
  • Buy at your local independent local fruit and veg shop boxes of food that is on the way out, but still good to eat at discount prices and start preserving.
  • If your renting a house, ask the landlord if you can convert a part of a lawn into a veggie patch. I did that when I was renting and the landlord agreed to it that a part could be taken out and converted to a veggie patch. Even till today that patch is still there paying it forward for the next tenant. Although keep in mind they will most likely tell you to do the work yourself. So have a few friends over for a work party 😉 Remember it can't hurt to ask and show a small plan as that will help them understand what your goal is. By default you have a NO.
  • See if you can buy something decent as second hand instead of new.
  • Buy quality when you can. We all like things cheap, but it might not always last as long and in the long run costing you more. If you can't afford it straight away, buy something cheaper and look at the life span of the item and start saving up for a better one. A little bit of forward thinking can't hurt.
  • If you have surplus, why don't give it to someone in need. Help someone else when you have an over production. You never know what that power might do in the future when you are in need!
Now it is time to get back to my duties as garden beds don't make themselves and I want to extent my growing capacity, more food in the pantry and having delicious healthy meals!

I will leave you with one more read to explore and that is:
  • Principles by Ray Dalio.

• Admin
I think my top "tip" is that we have a shared community stall. People leave their excess produce there, free of charge. I've lately been leaving our excess passionfruit there, but have gotten lemons, turmeric, a tree, and other items from there myself in the past.

I think that bearing your neighbours in mind is already a top tip to begin with. If we all supported eachother, the world could be such a happier place.

Back
Top Bottom