Farmed Salmon Dirty Secrets Exposed

Discussion in 'Hydroponics & Aquaponics' started by Mark, Aug 18, 2012.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Oranged tinged, pink fleshed salmon is one of natures pure health foods but is it becoming unhealthy?

My wife was telling me how she watched a segment on the Dr Oz show (yeah, I know) about how farmed salmon are fed pesticides to keep them free from diseases. Whilst pesticides being fed to salmon won't be a real shock to some then the colour of the fishes flesh might be. We all know the colour of salmon flesh (it's unmistakable), well apparently, farmed salmon has a white flesh because the fish can't get access to its normal diet. Therefore, on top of the pesticides the fish are fed other chemicals to artificially colour the flesh.

Now I don't know about anyone else but to me (and my wife) farmed salmon with pesticides and colourings doesn't sound right to me.

Does anyone know any more about the issue? I wouldn't mind some more information other than the quick snippet from Dr Oz. I'm certainly looking closely at the label next time I buy smoked salmon.

2. Some years back Canadian geneticist Dr David Suzuki gave an explanation of farmed salmon very similar to your notes, Mark. He said the food sellers rocked up to the Salmon 'farmer' with a colour chart for the 'farmer' to choose the colour he'd like. It's similar I imagine to the colouring in the commercial eggs which allows us to think the hens are fed a healthy diet and have access to outdoors. After seeing Salmon and Tuna circling, circling ... endlessly bored I assume in their prison, I have no wish to eat their flesh. Not dissimilar to the overfed and under-exercised modern meat chook who cannot even walk for the size of their breast flesh. How can these animals be healthy for use to eat? I don't believe they are a healthy choice. Smoked Salmon is truly meltingly scrumptious but questionable so if we fancy some Salmon we buy Alaskan wild-caught canned and turn it into patties or have it as a salad. Nearly as nice to taste and infinitely more healthy to eat. IMHO ;-)

• Like Like x 1
  3. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That is so interesting! A colour chart to choose like painting a house - my God...

I had no idea they coloured eggs - do you mean some commercial eggs are made white? I wouldn't imagine bleached eggs to be very good for us. I do know about the meat chickens and that's horrible too. Apparently, there is scientific truth to the fact chickens farmed this way have less nutritional benefits than chickens farmed free range. They may not be as "meaty" but they are tastier and healthier to eat.

Humans can be a cruel greedy bunch sometimes.

4. The yolks of caged-hen eggs used to be very pale. Suddenly they are deep yellow. I've heard it was from feeding the hens a dye to make that happen. Having seen photos of battery hens with pale combs, loss of feathers and general unhappy look to them, nothing would surprise me about the eggs from those mutilated and imprisoned animals. Why anyone thinks those eggs are good for us is amazing. Nor indeed the meat from animals kept and fed in un-natural conditions. Who is surprised we have so much disease these days?

5. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Colouring the yolks - now that's a new low in commercial egg farming. Considering that and the condition of the birds as you say, how can eating the eggs from these animals be healthy? :rolleyes: