Ello ello!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Dean Gallagher, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Dean Gallagher

Dean Gallagher Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Greetings!

Just wanted to say a quick hi and introduce myself as I'm sure I'll be using these forums like crazy.

Love your Youtube content @Mark and thanks to anyone who has given me advice on any of Marks videos. (username: MrTheJudasKiss)

My partner and I just had our first baby and moved back to be near family in Maitland (near Newcastle).
    At the moment we only have a small plot of land ive been working on at my mums house (no room where we live), so I'm really trying to learn the ropes for when we move back to the Brisbane area and buy our own land.

I have attached a few photos to show our journey so far on this little plot (unfortunately between a shed and a fence so sun isn't my best friend).

So far we have harvested snow peas, watermelon radish, Daikon radish, lettuce and some carrots.

Currently I have planted at the moment: A Blueberry bush, Lettuce, Carrots, Onions, Beetroot, Brussel Sprouts (yuck), Broccoli, Peas, Broad Beans, Snow Peas, Cabbage, Potatoes and Garlic.

Most of the plants were from seed so are taking a little while to come up due to the colder weather I imagine.

A few pictures of my progress so far.

image 1.jpg image 2.jpg image 4.jpg image 5.jpg image 6.jpg image 7.jpg

Oh and Also my 'Poor mans trellis' :p
    image 8.jpg

I hope to learn a lot from all of you and be an active member :)

Cheers!
    Dean

• Love it! Love it! x 1
  2. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Perfect spot for growing that little human :)
    I like what you have done. Don't worry about the site, just as long as you either have a good memory, or take notes of what grows best and at what time of the year. i have a garden bed next to a colourbond fence and it is north facing, so it gets very little winter sun and gets extremely hot in the summer. But as long as I get crops in between, or ones that handle the conditions, I still get produce.
    It's all about trial and error when you get started.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Welcome Dean.
    After gardening in that location, you won't know yourself once you hit Brisbane!

Now I must argue in favour of the poor Brussels sprouts!

DON'T cook them!!! Make coleslaw.
    If you must cook them, quarter them and fry in butter and garlic just a few minutes.
    Try sweet n sour sprouts or stir fried sprouts.

Fry the sprouts then toss in sweet n sour sauce.
    The dressing for stir fried is equal parts sweet chili sauce, fish sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, lemon or lime juice, and a slurp of dark soy sauce to taste. Fry the sprouts in oil then toss in a bit of the sauce. You can use this sauce on any fried veg.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Dean Gallagher

Dean Gallagher Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks Mark :D
    Although he can't walk or crawl yet, he loves being in the garden.
    I have started to write down some field notes regarding my crops as I have an extremely bad memory, so that will definitely help in the future!
    Thanks for the kind words and I hope to learn a heap off everyone here.

Haha Thanks ClissAT!
    I planted them for my partner as she loves them! But maybe I'll make an exception and try the sweet n sour sprouts as that sounds interesting!

5. Mary Playford

Mary Playford Well-Known Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Good job Dean, Thanks for sharing your little one and your garden. Nothing like fresh edibles from the garden.,..love it.

6. Dean Gallagher

Dean Gallagher Member

Climate:
    Temperate (all seasons)
    Thanks Mary!

How do you find the growing climate all the way down there in SA?