Question effect of diesel and sump oil on growing veges/fruit?

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day Peeps,

I have some sleepers that have been treated and i plan on making a raised garden bed out of them. I have had one of my friends insist that I use old sump oil and diesel mixed together and paint the sleepers with that before making a garden bed.

I have some reservations with this as i want to grow some veges/fruit in them (although the sleepers are treated pine... heat treated i believe ?? so hoping no arsenic) I don't plant on the bed to last forever though.

Any one have thoughts on this? ... I plant on painting the sleepers for a bit of protection though as I have some left over exterior paint (bright red), which I plant on using to paint and protect the sleepers.

I would prefer to just exterior paint the sleepers as I am a bit wary of using disel/sump oil mix to a garden bed I will be eating from.

Thanks heaps for any advice or thoughts.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Yeah, I'd stay well away from that. We used to use sump oil around the fenceline on the farm to kill the grass when I was younger. No way i'd have it anywhere near a vegetable garden.

What are they suggesting the benefits of sump oil are?

If its just to extend the life of the wood, staple a plastic liner to the inside of the garden bed & paint the outside like you planned. If the wood isn't in contact with the soil, it will last many more years.

Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Guessing this treatment is to make the sleepers last longer
I wouldn't put either diesel or sump oil in the ground as they will contaminate the soil
If you want to protect it a bit more paint the sleepers

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yeah, I'd stay well away from that. We used to use sump oil around the fenceline on the farm to kill the grass when I was younger. No way i'd have it anywhere near a vegetable garden.

What are they suggesting the benefits of sump oil are?

If its just to extend the life of the wood, staple a plastic liner to the inside of the garden bed & paint the outside like you planned. If the wood isn't in contact with the soil, it will last many more years.
I think they are over reacting to Termites ... this is australia... there will be termites ... i will just pain the things as much as i can and then... well.. it is not supposed to last forever

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
And I think to stop the wood rotting more ... shrugs... by then I might just brick it from the outside ... lol

Top Bottom