Dwarf Tomato Project - Get Involved !

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just ran across information about the Dwarf Tomato Project. Anyone who likes growing good tasting tomatoes as opposed to the cardboard tasting ones from the grocery should read up on this .... It is an ongoing project in Australia as well as North America.

I have only grown heirloom varieties and this project has incorporated dwarf plants with quality heirlooms, breeding smaller, productive and tasty new varieties.

This is ongoing and is mostly volunteers, small businesses and growers dedicated to the preservation of biodiversity in seeds.

I would like to see the SSC get involved, share ideas and keep the info coming as they develop better strains to grow in my heat.

What do you think ????

P J, the Dirt Diva

Last edited:

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I am really surprised that none of you Aussies have expressed any interest, especially since it is springtime there .... I am expecting seeds in the mail anytime now with varieties he believes will be best for a fall crop and what can handle my Texas heat.

I am looking forward to helping to spread biodiversity and save some types from disappearing.
How about you ????

P J, the Dirt Diva

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Still too cold for tomatoes here, my seedlings are shivering in the greenhouse!

There is a local guy that has some raised beds at his business, he showed me a tomato plant that has survived three winters, just keeps coming back every year. I should see if I can get some seeds this year, as it seems pretty much frost resistant.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Of course you want to be thinking ahead, and getting starts going in the greenhouse. Try contacting the lady and she can help you select the ones best suited for you, for trial in your area.

Happy Gardening, Andrew

P J

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
i grow the heirloom tiny tim tomato in my hydroponics and love them, a friend just gave me 4 new seed varieties to try bendigo drop - bendigo moon - dwarf purple heart - and one called inkspot ( micro dwarf ? ) . Andrew tell those seedlings to keep warm they will be in tasty sandwich or warming up plenty in a sauce or paste later :)

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Dave,
are those from the dwarf project ? The list is quite different here in the U. S. I am looking forward to getting some to try this next spring !!

Happy Gardening !!
P J, the Dirt Diva

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
i have had the tiny tim for sometime, the other seeds i was given i am not sure where they got them positively but i do know they have gotten numerous seeds before from victoria seeds in oregon

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
i have the photos of a few i have started over in the hydroponics links DivingTemptress

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
i have had the tiny tim for sometime, the other seeds i was given i am not sure where they got them positively but i do know they have gotten numerous seeds before from victoria seeds in oregon
Hi Dave,
Yes, Victory Seeds in Oregon is one of the 3 sources to buy for the Dwarf Tomato Project, in fact on their website I just read ... " The Victory Seed Company, along with three other small companies, were chosen by the project to produce seed and introduce these varieties to the gardening public. From the beginning, the Victory Seed Company has been committed to act as the project's de facto "seed bank," maintaining all of the varieties. We have also, over the years, trialed varieties at various stages of their development."

This year I am growing the Everglades Tomato for the first time and it survived thru the high heat of our Texas summer and have a couple of tomatoes still on the vine !! Usually, by June my vines have totally cooked .... so this is progress !!

I am really looking forward to springtime, when I can try out some of these new types of tomatoes.

Happy Gardening,
P J, the Dirt Diva

daveb

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Well i just brought in some of my plants from the porch on south side of house and we have had days down to the high 30 and low 40's and my peppers are again in full bloom. the tomatoes in the hydroponics out on porch and in green houses are too massive to easily move or i would bring one in just to be comical for winter and use as conversation piece. i couple of the peppers i tossed up in the introduce yourself thread

Top Bottom