Durian Tree

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Has anyone in the Tropics tried growing Durian? I know not a favorite amongst most (I like it), just curious how they do. Not possible in Texas.

krpga60

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
No answers. I am just learning and curious... What is durian? Fruit? Veg?
Happy Wednesday

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Haha, I had to google it as well, so frankly no clue! If it is what I think it is though, it looks like a cooler climate type of fruit.

krpga60

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Looks like it might be viable here-a-bouts... what is the taste though?

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Looks like it might be viable here-a-bouts... what is the taste though?
I just googled it and the first thing that popped up was that the fruit apparantly stinks really badly! But other than that people have described it as a delicious, sweet fruit. Some described it as sweet custard with the texture of cheesecake!
This fruit can actually be illegal to carry around because it simply smells so bad! Other than that it's said to actually be quite a healthy fruit!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Sounds VERY interesting! Odd veg and fruits are always the best. Will check into this as I hope to become the organic restaurant garden in the area...
That sounds amazing! Are you growing any other unusual plants at the moment or do you have a list for things you intend to plant? :D

krpga60

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am planning to grow fruit / veg that assist in blood pressure control. Mine is quite high and I hate pills. Beets have gotten me in a better place (lemon grass tea) but I want to be even better and am planning to do more for said medical issues. If you have suggestions... please make suggestions so that I may follow the science.

THANKS and Happy Wednesday!

krpga60

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
ALSO, (sorry I didn't include) my town is small and loves organic foods / spices. I hope to fill some of that need and make a bit of difference in the community.

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Sounds like an exciting undertaking!!! I wish you all the luck in getting it started. We just might stop in some time and have a Durian smoothie, and all the other goodness you will be serving.

Love beets!!!

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Sounds like an exciting undertaking!!! I wish you all the luck in getting it started. We just might stop in some time and have a Durian smoothie, and all the other goodness you will be serving.

Love beets!!!
If anyone does grow Durian, I would be interested to know the outcome. I'm picking one up for tonight, makes for a nice conversation piece.

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Durian are tropical fruit (originating from Malaysia/Indonesia) so they'll grow well if you've got rich soil and plenty of rainfall and humidity. The trees can grow to be gargantuan (25-50m or 80-160 feet), so keep that in mind for planting location. You do not want 2-5kg (6-15 lbs) durian fruit dropping on the roof of a building!

Durio zibethinus seems to be the most common commercial variety. Durian will not grow well in places where temperatures reach less than 22 degrees C (about 70 F).

Unfortunately I have no durian accounts of my own other than one camping trip to the Blue Mountains/Jenolan with a good mate of mine who wanted to stop by in Cabramatta to buy "supplies". A 4kg durian in the boot for 2 hours of driving was intense, and when we cut it open I discovered I am sadly one of those people who retch at the stink. Never eaten one since! (My friend ate the whole thing himself over the 2 days of our camping)

Last edited:

Texas1836

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I bought one for my friends and I. I was the only one who ate it, half. The rest went to compost. I don't mind it, but then again, I also like Limburger Cheese.

Thanks for the info and the great story.

Top Bottom