Ducks and foxes

Gardenfuher

Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
Two nights ago we lost 4 ducks to a fox. It took all the mini silver appleyards (about the size of a standard mallard) but seems to have left the khaki Campbell's alone. My assumption is that the khakis might be a little too big for the fox (as they are bigger than the other but not by much). Does anyone have any experience with bigger ducks and if they're less prone to predation? I've had a decent offer on some rouen and/alysbury ducks but I'm not sure I want significantly bigger birds.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Did they get caught up outside during the day? Or does the fox know a way in? They are sadly very tricky beasts.
I don't know if you keep other pets around? I've seen places have dogs to scare the foxes (and other critters) away.

Gardenfuher

Climate
Happened at sunset. I can only assume the fox was scouting the ducks for awhile. it was just before the ducks would have been locked inside for the night.

We have two large dogs that usually keep the yard safe Most of the time. Unfortunately they weren't in the yard at the time.

Very frustrating.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Happened at sunset. I can only assume the fox was scouting the ducks for awhile. it was just before the ducks would have been locked inside for the night.

We have two large dogs that usually keep the yard safe Most of the time. Unfortunately they weren't in the yard at the time.

Very frustrating.
Very frustrating indeed... I hope they don't come around again, but I doubt that.

I've once heard that a man's pee can sometimes repel foxes as it masks their own scent. I don't know if that's fact or perhaps an old wivestale.

Jason890

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Two nights ago we lost 4 ducks to a fox. It took all the mini silver appleyards (about the size of a standard mallard) but seems to have left the khaki Campbell's alone. My assumption is that the khakis might be a little too big for the fox (as they are bigger than the other but not by much). Does anyone have any experience with bigger ducks and if they're less prone to predation? I've had a decent offer on some rouen and/alysbury ducks but I'm not sure I want significantly bigger birds.
They will take Muscovy as well and they are a big duck
I only have two ducks now that are really just pets on the dam
We have two dogs since we got the second dog we have never lost anything they patrol the yard
But could just be a coincidence

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That’s no good about the ducks!! Are you sure it’s a fox…..not a dingo? Dingoes can be more common than people think and can jump, and climb, and take poultry…and are smarter than a fox

HelenCate

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We lost a few geese to a fox a couple of months ago, so I don't think a larger size duck is going to fare much better. Penning at night plus removing the problem if you're able to seems the only way.

Gardenfuher

Climate
That’s no good about the ducks!! Are you sure it’s a fox…..not a dingo? Dingoes can be more common than people think and can jump, and climb, and take poultry…and are smarter than a fox
Haven't seen dingo's or wild dogs around here. My husband hunts and he hasn't seen any on the local farms.

We know there are tons of foxes around here though and the dogs have chased foxes out of the yard before.

Gardenfuher

Climate
We lost a few geese to a fox a couple of months ago, so I don't think a larger size duck is going to fare much better. Penning at night plus removing the problem if you're able to seems the only way.
Yeah, I think we've just been herding the survivors into their pen at night rather than waiting for them to do it themselves. Kind of annoying but not a huge issue

Top Bottom