DON'T Pay $12 DOLLARS for a Head of Lettuce!

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Another reason to be motivated to be more self sufficient. The lettuce could be leafy gold at these prices!
Here are luckily some handy tips towards growing lettuce.

What are your plans this year to adjust to the high living costs?

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Wild lettuce (Lactua virosa, below), stem-type lettuce like the ones Mark planted in his video. Free, grows everywhere, no care or attention from me required. A little bitter and you gotta cut the spines off but no big deal. Spines are only on the underside of the central leaf vein; young ones taste better and have less spikes. Also wild brassicas (esp. wild mustard greens - yummm!), dandelion leaf, warrigal greens, fat hen, plantain, wood sorrel, sheep sorrel, dock, amaranth, chickweed, mallow, purslane, sow thistle, nasturtium... gosh why are yas so reliant on the supermarket when all of that grows free literally in your gutter?

Lactua virosa [Wild Lettuce].jpeg

For the rest of you, there's a new bank program to assist first lettuce buyers. [LINK]

Lettuce get into it! haha that gave me a real belly laugh. :ROFL:

Last edited:

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
My lettuce keeps bolting every time I grow it @JP 1983 ! I'm currently trying a different variety and have sowed it first day of winter so hopefully I've done it right this time.
Otherwise... supermarket it is... oof...

Not all of us are nature-experts... yet ;)
But we're learning from your thread!

Top Bottom