Question Do LED lights for the home really save money?

Discussion in 'Energy' started by Mark, Jul 6, 2013.

1. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Can someone please explain if LED lights:
    • Actually do save electricity?
    • Are as bright as a 100 watt standard bulb or bulb equivalent?
    • Are worth the extra cost of buying an LED globe?
    I hear a lot of "get LED light bulbs for the home to save money" but I'm just a bit confused about the specs of LED vs standard and whether going LED would make my living room look like living under candle light...

2. Steve

Steve Valued Member Premium Member

I cant really comment on how much could be saved but I have noticed that LED's are generally a whiter light which some people dont mind but others hate it. You could combat this with some type of cloudy cover. Perhaps there are LED's with a softer light but I havent seem any yet.
    I must say that I'm basing my opinion on the LED's from what I've seen in torches, LED light bars on 4x4's, my mountain bike lights, etc etc.

I know the batteries in LED's last a heap longer and the 4x4 LED light bars use a fair bit less power but with awesome output.

3. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I know someone that is getting LED downlights installed at the moment. Less electricity and also they don't heat up as much as normal ones so are safer to use as downlights.

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I do prefer the whiter light (especially in the kitchen) so perhaps they would suit me.

The globes I see the shops seem to be pretty expensive (about $26 or something) so would replacing the home with LEDs be cost effective ATM? Also, on the packet from what I've seen they don't tend to have an equivalent rating like: this 8 watt LED globe shines as bright as a standard 60 watt incandescent. It would be handy to know...

Yes, I have heard they are safer. When I got Rudd's insulation freebe the guys told me the same thing that LEDs are safter.

5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Looks like you'll have to buy one and do some testing :D

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Maybe I'll have to :)

7. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    An LED light bulb with the equivalent light output of a standard 60 watt bulb uses about 5 watts of electricity. ;)

8. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    how much are they? and does it save that amount of electrickery off your bill ? or how long does it take to pay for itself ?

9. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I saw them today in Woolworths and the info of watts comparison was on the packaging but the price for a glob is a ridiculous $29. I noticed they had old stock on special which compared 9 watts equals 50 watts so even the LED technology must still be improving - they were selling those for $15 (still too expensive).

Give it time and they'll all be $5 for a pack of four :) That's all they are worth - LED torches are cheap as chips now days so I can't see what makes a glob so special besides the fact that retailers know people would want them as they use significantly less power. Once the numb nuts buy all the expensive ones and the market for LED globes starts waning the prices will fall fast I reckon...

10. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think the quality of a 240v LED bulb is probably better than low voltage stuff like torches though?. I only get 12v stuff, and the quality is pretty crap compared to 240v stuff. :(

11. Scott Mac

Scott Mac Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ok, here's a sparkies view. I've got an energy app on my phone so I don't have to write it out for every customer. Every time I do the calculations of costs for some one who doesn't leave every light on in the house, you'll save $50-$100 per year. You will however pay for average home with 40 downlights an extra $1200 at least. So divide that by the saving of $50 -$100 and you'll break even in 12-24 years, if they last that long.

Now colour of light is mentioned a lot. Warm white has very little colour spectrum in it, it's yellowish. Best way to judge what colour you like, go to a whole sale room full of lights and grab 3 different colour shades and ask them to turn on one type of light at a time. You'll soon see that 12v halogen globes have the broadest spectrum of light and is the reason their used in galleries world wide.

Led's do have great advantages, hard to reach places to change globes, or stand alone systems like mine. I don't save money by using them, just energy which is very important to these type of systems.

I hope this helps,
    Regards
    Scott

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Very interesting Scott and that answers my question - thanks!

We just got our kitchen lights changed (finally) and the electrician recommended halogen globes over the benches with a long fluro in the centre so when went with them and the light now is fantastic and so different to what we had before.

I'm still going to keep an eye out for the right LED for other places in the house (possibly the stairs) as you say LED can be good for those lights in difficult locations.

13. Scott Mac

Kitchens are most likely to be seen at night by your guests. The colours chosen will look beautiful under a halogen globe, and placed right, do a magic job of showing off a kitchen. probably 95% of my customers go with halogen in a kitchen.

My opinion, (not recommendation, as a recommendation can back fire on you if the customers not happy at the end of the day) is I like halogen for external front of house and gardens, entrance, hall way, and living area's and kitchen. These are the entertainment areas and you can create a very inviting, homely feel with halogen.

Lastly, the biggest concern about halogens is the heat they give of and chance of fire. What they don't tell you is the fires that started the big scare was due to poorly installed insulation. They were pumping shredded paper into roof spaces and covering the down lights. Apparently it was treated to be fire resistant, yet with a prolonged amount of heat, it certainly can combust. So they blamed the down lights.

14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That's good to know.

Gee, I didn't know that! The inside goss hey... I only heard the media reports blaming halogens (like you say) but it was really just poor installs and not considering the insulation? Well there ya go. I know my electrician went through great lengths to ensure the insulation in our roof was properly positioned when he installed our lights the other day - he did a professional job (as most leckies do).

15. Scott Mac

Good to hear Mark. The best way to find the best tradesmen is to ask the best one you've found in one feild of another in another feild. Gee that's long winded

• Funny Funny x 1