Deer Jerky

becky3086

Premium Member
This is the deer jerky I made this year when we were given a deer. These were actually made with a kit that I got on sale last year so I didn't have to mix up my own spices though I wish I had because I could have made up something better than these mixes.

i263.photobucket.com_albums_ii121_becky3086_Jerky1_zpscea15f3d.jpg

http://simplyselfsufficiency.blogspot.com/2012/12/deer-burger-and-jerky.html

mouseinthehouse

We travel to Africa a lot and have eaten a lot of biltong. The South Africans have it done to a fine art. If you google search on making biltong you could get some great tips on how to do it. You can also buy pre-mixed biltong seasoning online.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Have you seen those jerky guns? They look like a silicon or large glue gun and are used to press out minced jerky into nice uniform strips for easy dehydration. In regards to biltong, it was traditionally designed to be used with game meat so it probably would work well with strips of deer (not minced) "bil" - meaning buttock and "tong" - meaning strip ie strip of meat from the rear of the animal. I make biltong all the time but with beef (usually rump) and I do make jerky sometimes also they are both great to snack on.

Top Bottom