Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Boy dies from drinking unpasteurised milk here in Australia.

There are many who argue the health benefits of drinking raw or "bath" milk.

I used to drink raw milk from my uncles dairy farm straight from the collection vat (all my family did) and I have been guilty of drinking raw milk recently when a friend gave us a bottle but I suppose it is a little foolish... and I won't be doing it again.

I guess the raw food obsession goes a little too far when it comes to milk or products made from unpasteurised milk hey. :)

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes it's so terrible for the family. I used to live on 100 acres when younger and we milked our own cows and drunk the milk straight up, nothing done to it. Was the way people used to drink milk. Sometime the cows would poop and you would have to whiz that bucket out of the way real quick. I guess we are more aware of the possible dangers of drinking raw cows milk, these days. Me I can't drink it, makes me sick, I drink goats milk.

My thoughts and prayers and with the family who lost their beautiful child.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ohh, well that makes sense because there's bad bacteria on everything we eat but like botulism it's only when allowed to build in large numbers that it becomes dangerous. My wife and I got food poisoning from prawns we purchased from a seafood van a few years ago - I threw up so bad I thought I was going to turn inside out! In the end I pleaded to God to let me die but I pulled through eventually (so did Nina).

Tim C

Two heads are better than one
Premium Member
GOLD
It's gotta be fresh. But in these days of antibiotic overload and cotton-wool children the risk of adverse reaction is drastically increased. Growing up in the country in the 70's there was only one person in my school with asthma. Mum tells me when I was a crawler, out on the farm, I would eat snails and duck ****!
Cheese is the best use for raw milk. Dose it with a beneficial bacteria to retard the baddies.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was speaking about this not so long ago when I visited my sister her father in-law is a milk truck driver collecting milk from dairies and he reckons cheese shouldn't be made with unpasturised milk either! I vaguely remember hearing on the news a few weeks ago about a company trying to get permission to import a French cheese made with unpasturised milk but they were having a hard time convincing the authorities.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Yeah, I was confused with homogenised, which is no good for mozzarella, unless you add CaCl. Pasteurised is even ok for the whole-foodies, any argument regarding bacteria is only relevant after the milk begins to decompose.

Jenni

Premium Member
I also remember drinking raw milk straight from the cow in my younger days. Plenty of people in plenty of countries still do.. I suppose years ago we would have one cow milked and the milk drunk fresh straight away, no need to Pasteurise, now days it needs to last a week in the fridge.

bearded1

Premium Member
I drank raw milk as a kid and have much more recently. I intend to have Dexter cattle (hopefully soon) and will be drinking their milk raw. As far as avoiding raw milk owing to the possible risk of getting sick or dying... mmm, I'm not so averse to risk that I would stop drinking raw milk, because if I was I would not drive or do lots of other things such as hunt pigs or go spearfishing. Col Fletcher sums it up nicely for me when he writes:

But if you judge safety to be the paramount consideration in life you should never, under any circumstances, go on long hikes alone. Don’t take short hikes alone, either – or, for that matter, go anywhere alone. And avoid at all costs such foolhardy activities as driving, falling in love, or inhaling air that is almost certainly riddled with deadly germs. Wear wool next to the skin. Insure every good and chattel you possess against every conceivable contingency the future might bring, even if the premiums half-cripple the present. Never cross an intersection against a red light, even when you can see all roads are clear for miles. And never, of course, explore the guts of an idea that seems as if it might threaten one of your more cherished beliefs. In your wisdom you will probably live to be a ripe old age. But you may discover, just before you die, that you have been dead for a long, long time.”

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Spot on! If you gave up all the things in life that are [supposed to be] bad for you, there would be nothing left to live for!! Media brainwashing distorts and guides our decisions. Like sheep we are herded towards anti-biotics, petro-chemicals and plastics. When it comes down to it, profit will always ace health in a capitalist oligarchy that values corporates over human life. Profit even aces health in health. Governments serve pharmaceutical companies, who in turn pay them to use us as their Guinea pigs. They are the new tobacco companies, pedalling the likes of Thalidomide for massive profit. Mark my words.-Anti-depressants will be the next group of drugs to be revealed with serious and ongoing side-effects. The TGA is an expensive and biased bureaucracy. Despite E-cigs being a healthier choice than cigarettes, the TGA, in it's infinite wisdom, currently discourages them. Call me cynical, but i am adamant this is because they are yet to "quantify"the product- that's guvment talk for they haven't worked out how to tax the guts out of it ...yet!:mad:

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Further to the OP, AFAIK it was not CONFIRMED that he died as a result of drinking raw milk.

Further info here: https://www.facebook.com/iskra.sparkysparkles/posts/703843356397654:0

"
This ban has resulted from the death of a toddler who sadly passed away a few weeks ago. My heart goes out to his mother and family.
Amidst the sadness and mourning, the mother is actually outraged by the government’s decision on the ban of raw, organic and biodynamic milk, after zero-to-none investigation into the case. All that occurred was a whole lot of media attention, loaded language, and an injection of widespread fear to the public.
When in fact her son actually consumed a very small dose of raw milk 8 weeks prior to his death, and his death was never properly investigated, or necessarily related to raw milk consumption (but likely to dehydration as a result of Gastro). Additionally, there were 2 other boys who fell ill at a Frankston hospital. What you don’t know is that Frankston hospital has the highest incidence of Gastro in Victoria, and Gastro is viral. No adequate investigation took place here either, but rather their gastro symptoms were used as ammunition against raw milk. The Doctor is under investigation for his affiliation with the multibillion $$ dairy industry for making such uninformed conclusions.
The Government- main agenda: $$$ and CONTROL.
The Victorian Dairy industry alone is an annual $4 BILLION industry. The cows in the these farms are artificially inseminated to produce calves, and in turn milk. Their young is taken away and bottle fed, while they are over-milked for 10 months, and then induced again, and again to produce milk (not for their young). Some are pumped with hormones to produce more than 1,250 times more milk than they would naturally. Other times they are fed unnatural, high protein diets (sometimes dead chickens and pigs) because their natural diet, grass, would not provide enough nutrients to produce massive amounts of milk. This results in MASTITIS- basically inflammation of the mammary glands- (There are about 150 bacteria that can cause the disease, one of which is E. coli), which is regulated by feeding the cows ANTIBIOTICS to prevent infection. Which we consume in our dairy, as well as the puss and feces from overcrowding, and inadequate hygienic practices.
None the less, this type of milk is safer in terms of transport, longevity, shelf life and so on… Going through a pasteurization process means that all the bacteria is killed (as well as the beneficial enzymes), and is safer for human consumption. The choice is Yours.
It also means that we are becoming more and more resistant to antibiotics, because they are in everything, including your dairy- and Superbugs are on the rise. Which are antibiotic-resistant bacteria, which becomes untreatable.
Raw-Milk
Yes, Non-pasteurized dairy means that it is breeding ground for bacteria. And yes, regulation of safe practice, including time-lapse between milking and consumption, refrigeration and all optimal hygienic steps need to be taken to prevent bacteria related illness.
But it also means that all the enzymes that are useful for stomach flora and digestion are there, as well as the puss-free, increased levels of fat-soluble vitamins, conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), calcium and protein, as cows are natural herbivores, and not what they are confined to in dairy operations.
And not to mention the TASTE! RAW milk TASTES like Milk!
DON’T turn it into an illegal substance!!! "

There are many substances that raise a lot of revenue for our government that should be illegal but aren’t!!! Take that into account. "

This is not an isolated case of the police-state madness of course, how many of you remember the Health-food SWAT raids in America a year or two back? Stores there that were selling Raw milk (as they had always done) were subject to raids from fully armed and armoured SWAT agents with guns drawn, as if selling milk were like selling ice. There is a long standing campaign by 'the corporation' against all things natural (that they can't patent and profit from od course) starting at least as far back as their prohibition against Hemp/Cannabis maybe even further.

But I'll get off my hobby-horse there, safe to say there is ALWAYS more going on than what the main-stream media tells you, always but in all things use common sense and do your research. :)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's a very interesting discussion and I can see the argument on both sides.

The media did paint this incident in black and white, which doesn't help.

I suppose many farmers and people who keep their own cows just sit back shaking their heads but unfortunately the average Australian is becoming so used to regulation they need government to hold their hands otherwise they are gripped by extreme anxiety :D

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
So true Mark and Director. Mindless Lemming following the propaganda of sheltered idealists with sinister and murderous contempt. The media paint the picture the guvment want them to. Brainwashing the gullible and showing absolute contempt for the rightly suspicious. Protecting their gluttonous excesses by whatever sinister lies they deem necessary.

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Yes. It seems the Seppo guvment is taking Big Brothers role a step further. Not content to control what we do and say, now they want to manipulate and control what we think. The horror of this for me is that Australia blindly follows the Seppos. Our guvment has all the same/similar controls they have over their "assets", but omits the rights and liberties guaranteed to Americans. However, any and all capitalist systems are a direct affront to democracy-counter to the well-being of the majority by their consumptive and cancerous design. A penal system re-invented. Penalty for wrong. Penalty for right. Penalty for effort. A financial penalty extracted from all, but a $200 fine for someone earning $100k PA won't even make them flinch, whereas that is a weeks wage for someone unemployed and dispossessed. The rich get richer, the poor get the picture. I get the bloody picture all right!

Director

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Yup, just like Pierre-Jospeph Proudhon said:

“To be GOVERNED is to be watched, inspected, spied upon, directed, law-driven, numbered, regulated, enrolled, indoctrinated, preached at, controlled, checked, estimated, valued, censured, commanded, by creatures who have neither the right nor the wisdom nor the virtue to do so. To be GOVERNED is to be at every operation, at every transaction noted, registered, counted, taxed, stamped, measured, numbered, assessed, licensed, authorized, admonished, prevented, forbidden, reformed, corrected, punished. It is, under pretext of public utility, and in the name of the general interest, to be place under contribution, drilled, fleeced, exploited, monopolized, extorted from, squeezed, hoaxed, robbed; then, at the slightest resistance, the first word of complaint, to be repressed, fined, vilified, harassed, hunted down, abused, clubbed, disarmed, bound, choked, imprisoned, judged, condemned, shot, deported, sacrificed, sold, betrayed; and to crown all, mocked, ridiculed, derided, outraged, dishonored. That is government; that is its justice; that is its morality.”

Though the more I read, the more I am coming to the conclusion after all this time that politically, I am an anarchist. :)

“Anarchism is the ideal of such a condition; of a society without force and compulsion, where all men shall be equals, and live in freedom, peace, and harmony.

“The word Anarchy comes from the Greek, meaning without force, without violence or government, because government is the very fountainhead of violence, constraint, and coercion.

“Anarchy therefore does not mean disorder and chaos, as you thought before. On the contrary, it is the very reverse of it; it means no government, which is freedom and liberty. Disorder is the child of authority and compulsion. Liberty is the mother of order.”

Tim C

Premium Member
GOLD
Anarchy is bad, E-cigs are worse than tobacco, black is white, white is black, poor people are dumb, rich people are smart, capitalism is good, the Earth is flat and politicians are HONEST.....:focus:

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Public health makes governments shudder over the risk of litigation should something go awry like the contaminated raspberries from overseas.
This is one less risk they would want to take, but having your own cows gives you the freedom of choice in what you can and can't do with them. Or do you?!?
In any case, if we contract a disease from drinking raw milk, we would just cop it, get over it and move on. For something in the milk to kill us, it would have to be poisoned with anthrax or the bubonic plague or the sort. Fortunately we can't get Ebola from it...

Top Bottom