Question Dam Water Filter

Perry

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
G'day,
I have a Fire Fighter pump beside my Dam. I have a 2" Poly Pipe up to my house & garden. I want to put in some trickle irrigation. I have looked on Youtube for ideas for a water filter. Please could somebody advice me to whether it would be best to install a Water Filter at the inlet to the Firefighter or near the house & garden. I do not want the holes in the trip line blocking up with silt.
I would appreciate any advice or web site that will give me the information I require.
Cheers Perry

Lucas

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
I run from a dam around the house for the gardens
cant get it clean enough for drippers but used this kind for a while Adjustable On Line Dripper emitter.jpg

Perry

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Is it a floating intake at the dam?

Are you pumping directly onto the garden, or to a header tank?

@ClissAT will probably have some advice, she's had extensive experience with dam water troubles!
G'day Andrew,
At the bottom of the inlet 2" pipe in the Dam. I have a Foot Valve. I made a float so that the foot valve sits about 18" under the surface of the water. I used to have sprinklers and never had problems. With drip irrigation I would not be wasting water by sprinkling water where it was not needed.
Cheers Perry

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Perry, if you want to run drippers it is best to have a second tank for settling.
It doesn't need to be very big. Depending on how much water your system uses, you can use a 44gal or maybe a 1000lt if you don't pump up very often.
Then pull water off the top of it to pump along your lines.
That way you get the cleanest water.

Hockley Homestead

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
It's usually best to only filter to the level required to protect your pump on the inlet. Too much inlet restriction can result in cavitation and reduce pump life.

You can put the filter at either end but my preference would be close to the pump. It protects the transmission line too, even if it likely isn't really necessary.

Personally, I'd check with the irrigation manufacturer for minimum filtration requirement and be conservative. If they say 100 microns I'd probably go to 50 to account for mineral build up in the nozzles over time. Reduced water is better than a clog and no water.

Top Bottom