Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
278-1430310051-cd58eb805620b2ca6c34fcc23123a39f.jpg
Today I was surprised by a swift arrival of a tall box delivered to my front door just two days after I ordered a couple of pear trees from Daley's. They arrived in excellent condition well bound to the box base and undisturbed by the delivery. I am impressed by the service and will only be more impressed when these trees begin to bear fruit. Well done Daley's.

279-1430310203-7548a4554a3aa669871434466e5b59d9.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Congrats Ash :)

That Flordahome I can see has a pretty low chill at 350 hours (Toowoomba has about 700-ish chill hours a year) so no dramas getting fruit set for you!

I love the foliage of pear trees they're very ornamental. It's never easy getting a pear in the shops either these days - I used to remember as a kid they were very popular but you don't see as many now.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks guys. I picked those two particularly for their lower chill factor as I may struggle to get decent fruit from the more popular Williams and Packham cultivars.
I'll also be taking a punt with apple trees as the lower chill varieties (Anna, Tropic Sweet and Golden Dorsett) don't sound as nice to eat as the more traditional higher chill ones (Pink Lady, Red Del, Gala, etc).
Here's hoping they won't be just ornamental plants...

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Anna, Tropic Sweet and Golden Dorsett
Nah, they're all good :twothumbsup: But, the higher chill varieties are tried and tested so if you can grow them go ahead I reckon.

I have the Anna and Tropic Sweet both are excellent eating - an apple straight from the tree is a very different eating experience... wonderful!

We find the apples are the most targeted fruit in our yard and they have to be netted or the parrots and possums get'em - plus they are a real magnet for fruit fly unfortunately.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Got it Mark. Nets will be a needed investment once fruiting begins. As for the low chill apples, I'll give them a go.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
As for the low chill apples, I'll give them a go.
There's no harm in planting several low chill and standard ;)

You can prune and shape apple trees to about any size - I think they are a little easier to net if pruned to a wine glass shape rather than espaliered but it's personal choice really.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'll be wine glassing them for sure. I don't have the time to carefully espalier the trees so they'll just have to do with netting. I'll look into the tropical series of apples as well as the standard pears also probably in the late winter when the bare root stock starts to come in.

Last edited:

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Bare root is a clever way to go. My brother in-law (lives near you) buys most of his stock in winter bare rooted - cheaper and easier!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Might have to catch up with your brother in law - I like his thinking...
You may have crossed paths with my sister - she's a theatre nurse at the General Hosp (Ines) and he's a horticulturist working for Tmba City.

Top Bottom