Cutting Banana's after fruiting.

Robert.M

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Banana newbie here, but inherited a patch of banana's at our new home.

I've seen what seems to be conflicting info on Youtube. 1. after fruiting a banana tree dies and a new one takes it's place. 2. After fruiting, cut the banana back to 30 inches or so, and it will grow back and fruit again.

I know the banana tree will grow back from personal experience, but will it fruit again or am I wasting my time?

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Robert, there have been bananas on my property since I bought here in 1997. My experience is that they do not re-fruit; in fact it seems to me that the ones that have fruited have in fact died and suckers replace them - in good conditions.

DivingTemptress

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Your banana will grow into a ''stand'' of bananas. You can separate the pups to plant elsewhere, or let it start to circle into the stand. We have a stand with approx 10 plants 10-20 feet tall now. Personally, I think they like being crowded. We had 3 produce fruit last year .... over 300 bananas YUM ! We cut each of them down, chopped lengthwise, then into small chunks and placed at the base of remaining trees to feed them.

banana bunch closeup 6-20.jpg
Happy Gardening,
P J , the Dirt Diva

Top Bottom