nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Post your "Cute Chicken Pics" :cheers:

I love my Bantams, i laugh everytime i see this photo... isn't she gorgeous!

chooks27042013.jpg

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We had about 15-20 natural hatchings last summer (can't remember exactly how many) but no it isn't consistent because some hens aren't broody, some are but isn't the right time of year, then some hens give-up and leave the nest for too long and the eggs die. It can be hit and miss but a good hen is easy to spot - she will hardly ever move off the nest no matter what. Then, I shove all the eggs under her.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers, yeah the grey one in the top photo has a crooked beak, it doesn't seem to worry it, it must eat as much as the others as it's just as big. I just trimmed a little bit off the bottom beak, but i don't think that'll make much difference.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
cheers, yeah the grey one in the top photo has a crooked beak, it doesn't seem to worry it, it must eat as much as the others as it's just as big. I just trimmed a little bit off the bottom beak, but i don't think that'll make much difference.

Yes I thought so - crooked beaks are common but. And you're right it doesn't affect the bird's eating habits at all. Many commercial hatcheries cull crooked beaked birds which is a little sad but at least yours has a good life. I get the occasional quail with crooked beak disorder - I hatch out lots more quail than chickens.

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
i didn't realise it had a crooked beak when i got it, till i got home, i didn't know anything about it, but google is awesome, some hardcore people say you should put them down as they will take extra care, i understand that view, but these are just backyard spoilt chooks, some people have had problems with chooks not being able to eat and not putting on weight, they have to hand feed them, some people are trying to trim and help, but yeah it looks like it's no big deal and it's all the chook knows so they get good at coping with their issue and would think it's normal. Same as if you're born with one arm, it's all you know so it's normal for you.

I love close ups of faces (animal or people) it always tells a story i reckon.

but anyways, a photo for the thread... I have an ongoing issue of trying to show the awesome colours of the feathers, my Belgian, mainly black and white, but has some great tan colours hidden in there, i can never get them to show properly.... but here's one from this arvo in the sun..

shackers.net_images_photos_chickenbelgian.jpg

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Stevo, some awesome photos here. Love em.
Has the Belgium got feathers on their feet?

I dont know much about chooks but I do know the ones with feathers on their feet have some sort of animal magnetism with the human female species....they just think they are the cutest chooks ever. Girls that know nothing about chooks will just melt over feathered-feet chooks at the Ekka (Royal Show) or a kiddies animal display.
So what can us blokes learn from this.... probably nothing, if they don't like my thongs then too bad! ;)

Steve

Valued Member
Premium Member
Here is my big rooster. He's very good - doesn't attack humans, mild mannered, doesn't crow much at all and when he does crow it isn't too bad.

Is that rooster standing on a step ladder? He's huge compared to the rest of the flock!
He definitely looks like the boss there.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Is that rooster standing on a step ladder? He's huge compared to the rest of the flock!
He definitely looks like the boss there.

He's big isn't he :D

Roosters are usually a bugger to keep but it is possible to get nice ones. We've got 5 young males (about 5 months old) and one has already tried to "double feet pump me" from behind to try and intimidate me - he'll be the first one turned into Coq au Vin soon... ;)

But this big guy is gentle as anything. Most know a roosters role is to protect the flock (and mate) however, they also find food and then alert the other hens by clucking, dancing, and even picking up bits of food to throw at the feet of hens. When there are young chicks or pullets a good rooster will chaperon them around showing the young ones the ropes and discipline them if they do something wrong (like venture into a dangerous area - long grass etc).

I thought the image depicted this behavior well with the big guy out the front of the flock, in the middle, and proud.

Top Bottom