Question Companion Planting herbs

Troy

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I'm giving Companion planting a go at the moment and I am using an old "self watering pot.." I thought while building this "does anyone else seal the water overflow with fly screen to prevent mosquitoes?"
in.jpg out.jpg final.jpg
I would also love to see what successful companion pot combinations people have achieved, above I am attempting Climbing Spinach, Oregano, Thyme and Rosemary.

DTK

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
That's a good thought/question, Troy, I hadn't thought of that. I can't say that I have had those issues in my pots like that. All the best, Dan

Wanda

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I use mosquito dunks or bits from Summit. They are natural and do not affect vegetables or fruits. You can order them from Amazon. My self watering planters have a curved opening and are very inviting to leopard frogs and toads.

Attachments

• A15A9820-BCC9-4A35-8EEB-1E97A9558DD2.jpeg
    A15A9820-BCC9-4A35-8EEB-1E97A9558DD2.jpeg
    17 KB · Views: 358

t4ms

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
You can't fail with the bog-standard tomato/basil combo. Didn't stray far from that for several years :D.

Forgot to mention: watch out for the rosemary. I thought I'd be clever and planted some rosemary in the middle with some (I think) parsley around the border of a large pot. The parsley grew like a weed and shaded the poor rosemary that struggled. In the end I re-potted the rosemary on its own and it then grew like a weed. When it takes off rosemary can easily take up an entire pot.

Troy

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I will have to look into those mosquito dunks, they sound pretty good. Do they last or do you have to keep re-applying them?
I use mosquito dunks or bits from Summit. They are natural and do not affect vegetables or fruits. You can order them from Amazon. My self watering planters have a curved opening and are very inviting to leopard frogs and toads.

The Malabar is taking over at the moment, I had hoped that the oregano and thyme will act as a ground cover and the rosemary will have "free reign" over the ground cover. I just hope it does not shade the ground cover herbs too much.
The Rosemary is actually a cutting from a much larger plant and is growing much slower than I expected it would. 20200306_114845.jpg
You can't fail with the bog-standard tomato/basil combo. Didn't stray far from that for several years :D.

Forgot to mention: watch out for the rosemary. I thought I'd be clever and planted some rosemary in the middle with some (I think) parsley around the border of a large pot. The parsley grew like a weed and shaded the poor rosemary that struggled. In the end I re-potted the rosemary on its own and it then grew like a weed. When it takes off rosemary can easily take up an entire pot.

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The Malabar will go berserk!
As for the well in your pot, you should let the plants use all the water before refilling.
That way, and wriggles dry out before getting big enough to turn into mozzies.
Plus it's the best way to keep the potting mix in good condition.

Wanda

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
The mosquito dunks only last 30 days and have to be reapplied throughout the mosquito season.

Top Bottom