Coffee growing and making

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by stevo, Jun 14, 2013.

1. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    anyone growing and making coffee?

I planted an Arabica Bean tree a few months ago, i think it might take two years before i get some beans from it. It came with a tag with instructions of how to roast the beans which i thought was pretty good marketing.

(not sure of the section for this one either Mark)

Attached Files:

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Stevo, I moved this post too sorry :) because it's "how-to" with food and it fits better here I think...

I know a guy who did the same as you and purchased a coffee plant (from Bunnings if I remember correctly) and he raves about how good his home-made coffee is - I was surprised when I asked him how he does it because he referred me to the QLD Govt site (DPI) Coffee processing in the home and reckons he follows the instructions there to the letter.

It's a pretty good write up for a govt website don't you think?

• Like Like x 1
  3. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    i don't mind where you move them to, i'll have to drop some bread crumbs so i can find my way bac where i cam from :) .. and after my "friday night rumbos" i get even more confused ;) ... got to replace those friday night rumbos with home brew wines!

yeah that's a pretty fancy write up for a government site! I'll add that link to my site, cheers

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  5. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    www.shackers.net
    I just started on it so there's not much to it, and i'm not really sure on the direction. I figured i'd just add things that interest me and maybe it'd evolve in to something that made sense :oops:

6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Shackers... I love the name :D

Nice looking site and very Australian with the brown tinge and shack (now I'm going "off-topic" in my own forum :p) Brown tinge like coffee beans I should say...

Seriously, good luck with your site I get great satisfaction out of running mine. If you ever want to chat about running sites or swap ideas just open a thread in our Chin Wag or Tech sections. Oh, and (see my signature below?) make one of them up so if people are interested in your opinion here in our forums they can check out your site - that's up to you of course. I don't let people directly spam our site but I don't mind our active members promoting themselves/website by their signature (especially if it's to do with self-sufficiency). Here's our rule for signatures if you're interested.

Now we should better get back on topic about coffee...:coffee:

7. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    hah, cheers. hrm... ok to keep it on topic, i'll have to add a project article about coffee making on my site then, .. yeah i like mucking around with websites aswell, probably have spent way too much time on them over the years..but i better start a geek thread elsewhere.

8. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I was the one who asked - hence, the off-topic dogs leg (it doesn't hurt to go off track in threads a little anyway - it's natural to have). I was just being a little facetious that's all.

BTW, do you know how long it will take for your plant to produce enough beans for a :tea:?

9. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    It might be best to have a separate website thread anyway? :cool:

I think the tag said a couple of years but i'll have to check that. Maybe i should put another couple of plants in, one might not be enough.

10. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    The
    The guy I know who makes his own coffee (Justin) he's only got the one plant. But, he did say his stocks don't last too long - not sure if meant the plant didn't produce enough or he's just a big coffee drinker...:D

11. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    i'm wondering if i can get a couple of different kinds, i'll have to do some research/googling.

12. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah, I suppose you could blend them also. I've only seen the one type at the nursery or Bunnings etc locally but Daley's Fruit Online sell several different types.

13. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    oo great link there, thanks. .... ahh now i can see myself spending lots of money on there :blush:

Have you bought plants from there and had them shipped? How does that work... they survive ok?

14. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I've never had a problem buying online from Daley's but I've spent WAY too much money on plants from those guys - be very careful :D

Seriously, their delivery service is really good the plants come packaged all nice and with instructions etc. Survival is no problem as the plants are usually delivered within a few days. The delivery cost isn't too bad either if you group several plants together the price comes down relative.

I do check other local retailers first for a particular fruit tree, naturally, if the price is similar locally for the same tree then I buy it locally. However, Daley's has a great range and often sells plants I never see or can get anywhere else. I've bought most of my mango trees and other exotics from them. Probably 25 plus trees so far.

15. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I'm a bit of a bad shopper... if i go in to a plant nursery and i like the look of the plants, and worse, if i like the people running it, i'll easily drop $100, .. another chat with the owner and i'm down another $50, and i only intended to buy one $12.50 plant :oops: .... i don't mind that though, it's great to get home and have a whole range of things to do.

I'll have to do a proper browse of the site and do some research, then a walk around the yard and see what i can fit where :rolleyes:

16. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical

I'm worse, I'll buy first then do a walk around to see where I can fit my new plants more often then not I invent a spot :D such a sucker for new and different varieties of fruit trees.

17. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Just an update to this coffee thread kindly provided by a mate (Justin) who makes his own coffee as stated earlier:

Coffee seed fresh picked fermenting and air drying stages 800.jpg

coffee seed drying process 800.jpg

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Here's an image of Justin's coffee bush with ripening fruit/beans

Coffee bush 600.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. stevo

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Interesting info, the plant looks healthy too. My plant hasn't changed much since I planted it, I put some fertilizer on it recently and now it's getting some new growth, maybe it's the warmer temps helping it too.

20. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I think they do like the hot weather I remember seeing coffee growing like a weed in the hills of East Timor (which was rather steamy).