Climbing Beans - Rust

Lizi

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey all, my 4 week old climbing beans have rust on many leaves. I can not find an organic solution to this?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Lizi, check under a few leaves to see if there might be some red spider mites.
If you don't know what they look like, there'll be very fine cobwebs and fine red sandy texture when you rub your thumb over the under surface of a leaf.
Also the leaves will be more leathery.

I use sprayable copper for most leaf issues such as fungal issues, white or grey mold, rust. I'm also using it for frangipani rust.
10:1 water/milk can work for minor issues.

If its red spider mites, you'll need a pyrethrum spray.

However, all plant disease is the physical manifestation of stress factors suffered by the plant. Often it will be soil issues of incorrect pH (beans like a more alkaline soil), or incorrect trace elements or too much nitrogen.
So apply lime, powdered egg shells or white fire box ash to lift pH or apply trace element crystals or spray a general trace elements spray.
Sometimes it could be that the soil is too rich with compost. Beans don't like too much rich soil in the beginning of their growth.

Lizi

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Clissat, what a wealth of information you are! After close inspection, decided on rust and sprayed some copper chelate. Thanks so much for responding to my question. I see you are in Pomona, we are practically neighbours!
Lizi

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Lizi, we should get together and compare gardens!
I love walking around other people's gardens and seeing how they do things.
Mine isn't as grand as many would think! ;)
I have difficulties gardening in this area.
Now we have drought again........and on it goes! o_O

Lizi

Climate
Sub-Tropical
Absolutely, we should get together and check out each others gardens! Let me know if you are coming down and I will do the same. We can learn stuff from each other being so close in areas...not sure if I can tell you something you don't know, but hey, you never know. There could be some quirky piece of information that worked and we could share.

Top Bottom