Cleaning the chicken coop

Discussion in 'Poultry, Domestic Livestock, Pets, & Bees' started by Greenyblue, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Greenyblue

Greenyblue Active Member

I am new to chickens and with all the rain I am finding the chook house is getting mould patches growing (even though I keep it as clean as I can). What can I use to spray around for this that is safe for the chooks?

......just found an article on apple cider vinegar for use in cleaning coops and also for putting in chickens drinking water...anyone have experience with this?

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Rainy and damp weather is such a pain for chicken owners because it can get rather messy and miserable around the coop.

I have used vinegar for weeding (as a weed killer) so I guess it would work for moss/mould. Would it hurt the chickens to spray it on some mould around the pen or wash the walls down etc? No, I wouldn't think so. In regards to adding vinegar to the water, it's not something I've heard of, but I wouldn't think it's necessary really. I've got a gut feeling it's probably not a good thing to do... What's the main reason for adding vinegar to the drinking water - is it to suppress mould growth in the container or as a supplement of some kind?

3. Greenyblue

Greenyblue Active Member

Hi Mark thanks for the reply. Apparently ac vinegar has multiple health benefits to chickens such as supporting immune system, balancing ph, detoxifying and many other things according to various websites, but I would love to hear from anyone who actually uses it in chooks as I don't always believe everything I read on the internet:):). I've read a couple of tablespoons per litre in drinking water. I believe it has to be in the raw form as you can buy from produce stores.

4. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Really... Well, that's interesting. Isn't vinegar a wonderful product - pickling, cleaning, weeding, and now chickens health! ;) I'm like you, if anyone has any experience in this area please let us know. In the meantime, I'm going to ask my feed supplier (local guy, great bloke) and see if he knows anything about the uses of vinegar with chooks. His store sells supplements etc for animals so he should know.

5. stevo

stevo Backyard Farmer Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    When i first got my Bantams one of the Belgians became sick, i first thought it was Sour Crop and read that Raw Apple Cider Vinegar helps. I ended up buying a 5L bottle of Apple Cider Vinegar with Garlic and Echinacea. Apparently it's used for Horses aswell. The bottle i have has a horse picture on it. I put some in the chooks water and they seem to like it.

but anyways, it seemed the Beligian had Coccidiosis and it too late and died.

Quote from another site
    • "Coccidiosis is not a germ-spread disease, like other things. It is a condition in which the protozoal parasites or oocysts, which naturally live in the chicken's intestines become too numerous for the chicken to handle and make the chicken sick. Thankfully, once your chicken has endured and recovered from coccidiosis, caused by a particular strain of this protozoa, it develops a resistance or immunity to that strain and will not get sick from it again."