Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There's now the ability to add a specific classifieds section to our forum in order to facilitate the swapping, give away, or even sale of seeds ect.

This section comes with all the features needed to swap or sell but I'm wondering what others think about installing such a section on SSC?

Is this something that has potential to grow into a useful tool for members to use?

stevo

nativebeehives.com
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
nativebeehives.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
weeelllll..., I'm a bit 50/50 on it :pokerface: :D... but sure, try it out.

Will it be added to the top menu and be it's own module type thing like the photo gallery?

I think this is what this current section already does? But it doesn't get used? Maybe it doesn't get used is because no one knows it's here? (just thinking out loud)

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I actually haven't noticed the section to date - should be more obviously placed, such as under Search Forums or on its own on the toolbar.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks for the feedback guys - very good points... I'll do some rearranging and make this section more obvious.

Let me do some more research on the classifieds section and I'll likely add it soon. Even if it takes some time to get used it won't hurt to have the functionality for when our active membership grows.

We can have a bit of a play with it and find out how we can make it a useful tool for sharing, swapping, or even selling seeds here on SSC.

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
It's got to be a good thing Mark. Best suited to local trading but could be applicable to regional sharing also. We just have to be careful to observe quarantine restrictions especially with WA and NT. Internationally there would even more scrutiny over any organic material coming into Australia from overseas.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes very true Ash! We'll have to get a few rules/terms together just to inform people about what can and can't be done with this system - particularly if it starts getting regular use.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hmmm, opening up a can of worms (or selling them) :D

Seriously, yes opening up to other things in the self-sufficient type field is something I like in theory - we can always trial the system and see how it goes.

There's the big established trading sites like GumTree and Trading Post (ebay of course) but many forums do still offer specifically targeted trading and it seems to work for their members.

Thanks for the suggestions guys, I'll still keep the categories down to a few but we'll make it more than just seeds - I think that's a good idea.

The manure example is a very good one because that's something I myself always struggle to find now that my sources have dried up. It would be handy to have a current list of manure traders in my area, free or for sale - it would save me driving around the countryside in hope to see bags of poo outside someones front gate. :)

Ash

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
asmedical.webege.com
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
That's true Mark. Although Gumtree and the like work well with efficiencies of scale, Toowoomba's market for gardening items is pretty small on those sites (it'd be a lot better for you guys in BrisVegas), so seed swaps and plant material are more likely going to be the common things that will be traded on this forum. It also makes bulkier items more workable for local trading (like manure). Then at least we know where to look for local items that can't be posted.

Last edited:

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I totally missed this. I think it would be a great idea even if it's just on a small scale that people can say they have extra seeds this year, or seed potatoes, sweet potato slips etc. Could be a buy, swap, free extra. I've just been looking into growing some sweet potato and looking up how to grow them and learning about slips etc. I was thinking how I didn't know anyone local who I could get some off. I've some some shop sweet potato sitting in some water to see how they go at present.

Has any more come of this section and I've just missed it?

It would be handy to have a current list of manure traders in my area, free or for sale - it would save me driving around the countryside in hope to see bags of poo outside someones front gate.
we have 3 different properties in our street who usually have horse poo for sale signs, $2 a bag.

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I have been following certain software add-ons that could be used out of the box on our forum to create a swap or sell section with a reputation system rating members on reliability etc.

It's certainly something that can be done but whether it will be used enough to warrant its installation is the question.

I have a gut feeling that as SSC grows in members the interest for a swapping or selling seeds and plants section etc will grow. Even selling other things like bee hives or backyard artworks.

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I totally missed this. I think it would be a great idea even if it's just on a small scale that people can say they have extra seeds this year, or seed potatoes, sweet potato slips etc. Could be a buy, swap, free extra. I've just been looking into growing some sweet potato and looking up how to grow them and learning about slips etc. I was thinking how I didn't know anyone local who I could get some off. I've some some shop sweet potato sitting in some water to see how they go at present.

Has any more come of this section and I've just missed it?

we have 3 different properties in our street who usually have horse poo for sale signs, $2 a bag.
Hey Kate,
Sorry I seem to always get off topic on these posts...so this is about sweet potato, rather than classifieds. I tried growing a store sweet potato with the toothpicks in water...it worked eventually. But I wasn't sure about planting the whole tuber and roots in case of rot. So instead I just left another sweet potato on the bench for a few weeks. Seemed to sprout much quicker. When big enough I carefully snapped off the slips and planted them. (Probably at the wrong time of year as usual) Impatience kicked in and I dug one nodule up...way too small for a meal (about the size of a large potato chip!) but at least I know they've thrown tubers...now I'm patiently waiting for them to get big enough to harvest.
As for the classified...seems like a logical idea. For example I have a bunch of gem squash seeds which I'll never be able to use. Seems a waste to throw them away, but I'm not sure how I'd get them to people who want them...I'd probably end up having to pay the post and that would be a bit weird...paying for other people to receive them! I don't know much about PayPal, so could that be a solution? (And the restrictions around sending stuff interstate or OS could be problematic...even transporting soil around brisbane can be an issue with fireants) hmmm I sound all "doom and gloom" sorry!

Mary Playford

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Don’t forget our members are global. You might need to add a sub-category for members say America, Canada, New Zealand….etc, to avoid restriction issues and postage costs international. That way, members can still share, trade, or sell to others from their country.

Here in Australia, we have some restrictions for Western Australia. In that case, members from over there can still share and blah their stuff.

Mikielives

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Also keep in mind a few seeds in an envelope would on cost me (USA) $1.00 to send to a friend in Australia. Regarding "government restrictions", well that could be a very lively topic.;)

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Don’t forget our members are global.
Yeah and I'd love to see more members for other countries around the world, to be honest... Diversity brings more information to our community.
Also keep in mind a few seeds in an envelope would on cost me (USA) $1.00 to send to a friend in Australia.
As they say, nothing is for free... There are a few things that need to be worked on I think before this gets off the ground in a serious way. But I can see it happening - why not... :)

LoveInNature

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I was also thinking on the lines of packing crates and wood. The slats from a bed can be gorgeous for making things such as decorative planters. Tyres for building up your spud tower and old sleepers for your garden beds.

Swapping male for male in our breeding lines. Gosh the list is endless!

Top Bottom