Question Citrus & Onions in Compost?

JohnH

May 27, 2020
Bundaberg
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I just saw a short segment on the tv about composting and they said not to add citrus or Onions to your compost. I’ve been adding both to my Compost Tumbler, is it bad?

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
May 31, 2019
Collie WA
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am by no means an expert but when it comes to composting, it all breaks down eventually.
I thought it was more worm farms that you didn't want those things in, But I too put all that stuff into my compost, the only things that are definite no no's are diseased or insect infested waste.

Reactions: Cheryl Smyth

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I stick everything in also including meat scraps. The worms devour it all in short time.

I have geckos that live under the lid to get every tiny fly type insect that hatches from the compost.
Actually it doesn't hurt if you have a community of sawflies living in there because they break down the larger pieces for the worms.

If you were to put a very large number of citrus skins in there every day, that would certainly be to the detriment of the worms or microbiome. But a few each week is nothing that any self-respecting compost worm can't handle! :D

And another reason for using them is if you have some slatters, they will go live in the upside-down citrus skin so you can simply take the whole skin out complete with its slatters and burn or drown in the weed tea bucket. But remember, they can walk on water due to surface tension.