Question Citrus and ash vs compost pH

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Berkeloid, May 1, 2017.

1. Berkeloid

Berkeloid Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Hi all,

Bit of a random question as I recently had some ash from burned paper and was considering putting it on the garden, but reading up on it apparently ash is alkaline and this can raise the pH in the soil if you use too much of it.

However I have also read that you shouldn't put too much citrus in the compost because it can lower the pH too far and make the soil too acidic.

So my question is, what happens if you put both citrus and ash in the compost? If you get the ratios right, will you end up with an unchanged pH and everything is well? Or can doing this cause other issues beyond the pH of the resulting compost?

2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I don't worry at all about compost ingredients and basically just chuck everything together.

Obviously, too much of some things might create a slight imbalance but I've never dwelled on ph levels so my advice is to mix the ash with the citrus and kitchen scraps plus other garden waste etc and let it happily break down then use it with glee wherever you want! :)

• Like Like x 1
  3. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    I agree with what Mark said & I would add:-

Putting your scraps through the blender to make the bits small enough for your worms to break them down quickly is a good move too.

That would be the time to balance out the citrus with ash purely so the volume of citrus is not too great for the worms.

Also, some types of ash can be microscopically abrasive to your worms so it is a good move to also add some fine lucerne mulch or maybe peat or soaked coconut fibre to give the worms a better bedding.

• Like Like x 2