Thankyou

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
They will be lice, you will have to treat all chickens. Couple of options. You will need to put powder on all chicken under wings, butt area etc. Also in the coop, especially nesting boxes, roots, on and joins and cracks.

Pestene Powder, many produce and pet stores will sell it https://www.petstock.com.au/product/chicken/pestene-lice-mite-powder-500g/49780

Diatomaceous Earth, can buy it online https://www.backyardchickencoops.com.au/blogs/learning-centre/the-wonders-of-diatomaceous-earth

And spray the coop and run area with Coopex https://www.bunnings.com.au/bayer-25g-coopex-insecticide-sachet_p3011010

You use to be able to get a spot on type thing they use for cattle, horses and if you have a friend who has them you might be able to get some but I have not used it or family it’s it.

Silver Egg

Premium Member
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I was cleaning out my chicken coop today and found I had little parasites on me
What is the best way to irradiate these pests from my chickens and the coop
Thankyou
Blood mites? Bloedmijten? We use contra parasites called dutchies from a company called refona.

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am waiting for a delivery of ivermectin can I use pestene to treat my chickens in the meantime and then treat them with ivermectin after that
Thankyou

KangaBanga

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
usually if you have an area for the chooks to dustbath mites wont be a problem. My problem is sandflies from the poo :(

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi all, I realize this thread is a bit old. Looking for some advice. In the chook run and coop seems to be a lot of black mites. They get on the kids when they step in pen and I can see them in the coop/on the boxes. They look black and are active in the day. The girls seem ok (no feather loss etc) but I want to get rid of them pronto.
Does diamataceous earth really work? I usually use this liberally in the coop but cut down on it as thought it might be too dusty for them inside. I have sandy soil at my place so they chooks normally dust bathe a lot…but with wet weather there’s not been as much dust in the pen. Mark’s article suggest a chemical treatment is way to go….and happy to bite the bullet if that’s what I need to do. Just wondered if DE would/could get the numbers donwn in the coop…some dry weather would probably sort them out in the pen

Also, I though mites were only active at night…so are these mites I have or something else? We have feral pigeon regulars at my pen…I’m blaming them for the infestation

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
What do you use on the floor? Hay/straw with exacerbate mite issues as the mites breed in the hollow centres. Since swapping to dust extracted wood shavings I've had no issues.

I don't use DE, never required it so can't advise there sorry.

I do use tomato dust instead of pestene - a lot cheaper, you're looking for permethrin or rotenone.

desman

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Thanks JoshW, yeah I switched from using straw to wood shavings ages ago as well for this very reason (avoid mites). Thanks for the tip on tomato dust. Gunna have to do a big clean and hose out on the coop and then treat everything in the weekend. Do you put the tomato dust in the chooks, or just in the coop?

JoshW

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks JoshW, yeah I switched from using straw to wood shavings ages ago as well for this very reason (avoid mites). Thanks for the tip on tomato dust. Gunna have to do a big clean and hose out on the coop and then treat everything in the weekend. Do you put the tomato dust in the chooks, or just in the coop?

I sprinkle liberally around the coop, I haven't applied directly to the chickens but I would if I had an outbreak. I seem to have had luck with mites (touch wood) do it's only been preventative

Top Bottom