Question Certified organic herbicides?

Maeve

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I need to deal with a lotta Lantana on my 5-acre block. Don't want to use Roundup or any glyphosate-based product. Also plagued with Giant Parramatta Grass.

Today I found online an Australian company selling a pine-oil based herbicide, certified organic, called Bioweed - https://bioweed.com.au/bioweed-organic-commercial/ They say it's not for woody weeds like Lantana but is effective on grasses, so I'm thinking of getting some for that Giant Parramatta mob.

Has anyone here used Bioweed? Or any other pine-oil based herbicide?

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Nigrospora oryzae, a naturally occurring Aussie soil fungus, will destroy Parramatta grass. The best thing about it is once you spray or introduce it via soil relocation into the grass-infested area, it will remain forever after, significantly reducing (albeit never completely eliminating) regrowth of Parramatta grass in that area. it doesn't affect smaller blade grasses anywhere near as much as the giant ones.

You may already have this useful disease on your property. Look for Parramatta grasses with orange or yellow new growth after rain, especially in spring - these will already be infected with the fungus. Keep the wet up to the grass (counter-productive, I realise!) for a long period and it'll give the fungus the ideal growing conditions to spore and spread to nearby plants. Split and replant infected grasses, soil and all, to areas where orange-yellow new growth is minimal to spread the fungus to otherwise healthy colonies of these invasive grasses. This method will take some time to establish the fungus in the soil on your property but this patient method will go a long way to reducing Parramatta grass by 60-70%!

Lantana is best burnt out, as this is the only truly organic method to prevent regrowth.

Last edited:

Maeve

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Excellent information, many thanks JP1983.

I watched the video, followed the link at the end and went on following links for several hours. I now have a much clearer idea of what invasive grasses are on my block and what can be done to defeat them. Again, thanks for setting me on this path. Knowledge is power.

Regarding Lantana, sigh, big job ahead.

JP 1983

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Regarding Lantana, sigh, big job ahead.
I would definitely consider trying that bioweed killer you mentioned above. At worst it wont work but you'll have it to use on other things. At best you'll find an easier way than burning out a large parcel of land. I havent had any experience with it so I can't help you there, sorry mate!

Grandmother Goose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
If you do end up having to resort to glyphosate but don't want to be spraying that around, you could cut the lantana back as much as you can, where you've made fresh cuts (and you can also strip back some bark for added surface area) you can then carefully "paint" a bit of straight glyphosate onto the remaining branches of the lantana. It should still kill it without you having to worry about it getting into the soil in quantities that will do damage to other plants, and by "painting" it on you can avoid drift spray contaminating anything else in the area.

Maeve

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks Grandmother Goose. Pains me to think of any glyphosate at all going into the soil and groundwater, but there is so much Lantana it seems unavoidable. Got a young cousin coming soon from up north with chainsaw and muscles and I'm buying myself a decent battery-powered chainsaw next week - EGO brand has many favourable reviews - and together we'll have at it.

I contacted the makers of Bioweed, it definitely won't affect woody weeds. I'm on amicable terms with most weeds and those I can't eat or use for soil amendment can be mowed or slashed so I doubt I'll need it, but I'll keep a bookmark to their site, just in case.

Top Bottom