Carolyn and Frank from Maine - USA

CCFD

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I joined just to let Mark know how much we enjoy the channel. We bought one of those Vitamix compost machines on his recommendations and we really love it. Thanks Mark.
In Maine we do not have the subtropical climate we enjoyed in Florida, but look forward to one day escaping 6months of barren fall/winter and late spring we have here in Maine. We are able to have a bountiful garden with less pests than in Florida, but it would be nice to enjoy getting out in the garden year around.
C

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Welcome to the forum Carolyn and Frank ( @CCFD )!

I bet it's been quite the change! I come from the Netherlands (temperate) and now live in sub-tropical Queensland. Seems like we both went opposite ways, haha.
There are plants that can do rather well, surviving through winter. Back in the Netherlands we had a pear tree that would fruit almost year round (except for the winter, sadly). It never showed signs of struggle through the winter, though fruit could've been better. My guess is that the fruit wasn't always "up to par" because it was never-ever fertilised in the 20 years it was there. If we had it'd probably thrive.
Have you possibly considered gardening indoors? I liked to grow at least some herbs and whatnot in the window sill, though a proper indoor setting would probably allow for many more plants.

CCFD

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Potted Plants do come in before it freezes and then stay until May. It is a struggle to keep them watered. We are intrigued by hydroponics done in columns.
PS - Frank is from Belgium! (Flanders)

Lunai

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Welcome to the Forum!
I'm from Germany, so temperate as well😃
There are quite a few veggies that you can plant outside in early spring even in our climate. there are quite a few vids on youtube regarding that matter. I've linked <- two good exaples there. Some just need a shelter or a small greenhouse (heated or not) (spinach and chard are really good examples that thrive even during wintertime)
You can even grow Olives and Oranges, Just need the right varieties.:heart:
But I'm sometimes jealous as well of the all year round growing possibilities 😅

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@daveb has done amazing work with hydrophonics. Probably good to check out his creations :D

That's awesome! How cold does it get in winter? If not too harsh, you can usually quite easily insulate your plants overnight, that way you don't have to bring them inside. In The Netherlands winters usually get to about -5C, give or take. There are many plants that quite easily overwinter.

Top Bottom