Canning/Bottling/Preseving

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
For those who are near a Spotlight store, they currently have 40% off all BALL products.

Skippyherron

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes they are pretty expensive, lucky they last a very long time :)

Mostly off eBay and especially when eBay does an extra discount at different times. I go for a seller that has included the postage in the cost then you get the discount off the total amount :)

Hey letsgo, can you let me know who the eBay store is where you get your mason jars? I've looked at bigw and they never seem to have in stock the smaller jars.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical

Skippyherron

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical

Comfort

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@Comfort @Mark we have to do a trip down south for a family funeral and are passing through Kempsey where Ozfarmer have their warehouse, so I was able to put an online order in with them and do a free pickup tomorrow, so makes them even cheaper :)

My partner is from Kempsey and every year visits a friend who now lives in South West Rocks. This is generally around Easter time. She arrived yesterday and today picked up my order so thanks for the info...

Got to fill them all now!!!!
IMG_0327.jpg

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
:)
My partner is from Kempsey and every year visits a friend who now lives in South West Rocks. This is generally around Easter time. She arrived yesterday and today picked up my order so thanks for the info...

Got to fill them all now!!!!
View attachment 2704

Awesome well done, :thumbsup: you will have fun filling them, I look forward to your posts on here when they are filled. :)

Comfort

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I dont know about that... I cant stack and label them that neat !!,

Comfort

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Ok.. I had to use my first jar..? I harvested a barrel of ginger and tumeric and got this..

IMG_20170415_141343-01.jpeg

Dried about 2/3 of the tumeric into this

IMG_20170426_175307-01-02.jpeg

Close to 2 cups of ground tumeric....

Comfort

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just a heads up... if you are going to pick up from the Krmpsey store... to order online you have to enter their address into their system to be given the option to pickup from the factory or it will try and charge you freight costs.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Just a heads up... if you are going to pick up from the Krmpsey store... to order online you have to enter their address into their system to be given the option to pickup from the factory or it will try and charge you freight costs.

Yes good advice to tell people. Their system is a little weird.

Great job on the turmeric

Comfort

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes... I can feelmsome curries, tumeric chicken and smashed tumeric potatoes coming on

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Excellent powdered turmeric! Glad you used a jar to store it in because I made the mistake of storing our own dried powdered turmeric in a plastic glad bag last season and it reacted slightly with the bag making the outside of plastic go tacky... weird I know but now we store it in the glass too.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Beetroot I just canned and but I dehydrated some Chioggia Beetroot as cooking it they lost the coloured rings. I did raw pack some but I think the colour has mostly gone in them too. Apparently people usually use the Chioggia Beetroot raw.

Chioggia Beets being dried.jpg

Dried Chioggia Beetroot.jpg

Nice pretty pink colour.

Pickled Beetroot.jpg

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Seeing all Letsgo's photos of her fantastic preserves makes me feel a bit lacking since mine are just in plain bottles!

Not to worry, at least I got the fruit this year rather than the bats & rats!

Here are my 2 batches of Seville Orange marmalade cooked over the last 3 days.
I use a different technique to the usual one.
I boil the whole fruit (scrubbed clean) first, reserving the boiling liquid, then as the fruit cools I cut in half to remove & save seeds.
Then pull out the flesh which is pressed through a course sieve (in my case an old deep fryer basket) to get the remaining juice. The segment flesh is also reserved.
Then cut to flatten the rinds, cut off the pith much like skinning a fish fillet (with a sharp thin bladed steak knife) which again is reserved. Then use a food processer to chop the rind.
Since I had 3 large buckets of fruit, that amount took a day & almost a whole night (17hrs) to process. :quiver:
Last thing as I finished processing the fruit at around 3am, I reheated the original boiling liquid so it didn't begin to ferment the next day because I had started this process at around 9am the previous morning!
Over the next 2 days I made the 2 batches of marmalade which took around 3hrs each to complete.
I mixed the reserved pith, seeds & segments & divided in half & placed into muslin bags (one for each batch of jam).
Each batch was measured & sterile water added (from sterilizing the jars) to make the volume up to 14cups.
Then simmered to soften rind until it will squish into a paste between thumb & finger, then cooled a little, total time around 2hrs.
Finally measured the volume again & sugar added in a 1:1 ratio. Then rapidly boiled to setting point 225F/104.5C.
I let it cool a little then bottle & cap so the caps seal (lids pop down) as the jam cools. My jam lasts many years this way.
I could have made it much thinner (ie increased the volume considerably) but I like a full flavoured, fairly firm, dense jam with lots of peel. This means I use much less on my toast!;)

In all it made about 5lt marmalade & still have some left from 2015, so with these I now have 2yrs supply even after giving some away.

Seville Orange marmalade 2Aug2017.jpg

Top Bottom