Question Bug ID

Tim-Tropics

Climate
Tropical
Hello everyone!

Just trying my luck here, to see if anyone could help me identify these insects in my pots. They are winged and fly / burrow into the soil when disturbed, about 2mm in length. My soil is well-drained and has lots of compost mixed in. Living in the tropics and growing herbs, if that helps!

aaaaaaawhatisthisssssss.jpg

Tim-Tropics

Climate
Tropical
Just to update that after some checking around, it seems that these are fungus gnats, probably feeding on all the compost and hopefully not on my plant roots. There was prolonged rain so things became quite soggy, which probably attracted them to set up home in the nice moist rich soil.

Tim-Tropics

Climate
Tropical
Found a new bug though! These are just 1mm in length, appear like black dots to the naked eye. Considering that it seems to be attacking the midrib from the underside of the leaves, I'm guessing these are aphids but then again they don't look like. Any suggestions on what these are would be welcome!

new-bugs.jpg

OskarDoLittle

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hey Tim,
I’m assuming you’re referring to the tiny “dots” on the rib...rather than the bigger critters beside them? I’d say aphids too - so many varieties!! Have you got black ants herding them?

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Did you run them through the google photo identifier?

Here's the one called Eriosomatinae.

aphid types.jpg

Most aphids have rounded abdomens but this one above is more elongated a bit like the bugs in your photo.

Tim-Tropics

Climate
Tropical
Hello ClissAT, don't see the typical cotton-wool like congregation on the plant though, so guess it isn't those woolly aphids. :)

Top Bottom