Broccolini

Jnel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Morning

Looking for some tips on keeping pests off my Broccolini. Its looking healthy, but noticing some bugs are thinking the same.
Sub-tropical climate Nth Brisbane.

Letsgokate

Valued Member
Premium Member
Website
letsgotravelaustralia.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I’m in the same area and pests have been particularly bad this year. I found anything uncovered was just being devoured by bugs. Mine are now covered up.

I don’t think anything beats checking them and squishing any bugs several times a day.

I know a lot of people use neem oil

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Yes, I think squishing is the best way, closely followed by a strong jet of water from the hose.
Getting down into the tight places of each leaf node is vital.
Neem is great but it is non-specific so it kills the good bugs also.
White oil will work just as well and you can make it at home. But again, non-specific.
Metho in water also works on a lot of sucking pests.
Try 20% to see if that is a high enough ratio and go up until it works. It will work pretty quick.
But again non-specific.

AndrewB

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Plant a good variety of things around the garden to attract good insects, or distract the bad ones.

I planted Nasturtiums, it's not the best time of year for them, so they aren't growing that well.

The cabbage moths are taking advantage of that & targeting them though, which means they are leaving everything else alone. There is spinach & silverbeet in the same bed completely untouched & even the Chinese cabbage are doing well.

One of my neighbors said they plant brussel sprouts as a sacrificial crop so they can get broccoli & cauliflower to survive.

Jnel

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Plant a good variety of things around the garden to attract good insects, or distract the bad ones.

I planted Nasturtiums, it's not the best time of year for them, so they aren't growing that well.

The cabbage moths are taking advantage of that & targeting them though, which means they are leaving everything else alone. There is spinach & silverbeet in the same bed completely untouched & even the Chinese cabbage are doing well.

One of my neighbors said they plant brussel sprouts as a sacrificial crop so they can get broccoli & cauliflower to survive.
Good Idea, thanks Andrew

Mark Seaton

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Maybe a good idea with brussel sprouts as I can't stand them. Knowing my luck the insects would feel the same way :mad:

The Rubber Kitty

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical

well that explains why my brussel sprouts are betting a bit of a beating... but only the one in the sun mostly ... herm...

Top Bottom