Black soldier fly small farm

MariaGatti

Premium Member
Hallo everybody, I am not sure to be in the right space ... please excuse my poor English (writing from Italy) and if I am OT. I need to start a tiny farm of black soldier flyes and I wonder if somebody here could help me, since in the web I just found instructions for medium-big farm. In fact I just need 10-20 FLYING flyes everyday on a continuous cycle. I am not sure if in this case, it’d be more convenient to let them lay their eggs or , if it’s simpler, I might decide to simply buy 100 larvae every week and take care of them until they develop and fly. The point is I don’t want them to develop altogether, but 10-20 per day. I am confused, I hope somebody here will help me...

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Maria and welcome.
Well having a soldier fly farm is certainly different although not unheard of because they do a fine job of helping with wet compost.

As for controlling their development stages, I think only trial and error will help you there.

They grow and breed really well in wet kitchen waste but need to be contained (housed) in a container that allows good air circulation yet does not allow them to escape.

Then you need a constant supply of suitable kitchen scrapes.

That's as much as I know. They breed readily in the compost and break it down really well, then complete their life cycle and die in the compost. I've never tried to catch the adults. Mine just live in the compost along with the earth worms.

Sorry I can't be more help, Maria. I wish you well.

Top Bottom