Gardening Birdies beds

Cyndi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
We just got 2 big beds and one round bed from Birdies. I want to grow carrots in one as we have rabbits eating the tops off them in a lower bed. How deep should I make the topsoil/compost layer? We have wood chunks and grass clippings, etc in the bottom but I want to make sure the carrots have deep enough good soil. Thanks!

Cyndi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I have watched this one (it's why I ordered the beds lol) but wasn't sure if the dirt levels varied by root crop vs regular veggie 😊

DThille

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Cold, Cool, Mountains, or Artic
If you’ve got about 12“/30 cm of soil on top you should be fine for most root crops. If that’s an issue, start with a shorter variety like Paris market (round ones) and in a couple years with breakdown of materials and topping up with soil / compost you could grow longer ones. Good luck.

Cyndi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Thanks, our beds have about 15 inches of the good compost and soil mix. We're excited to start using them!

Cyndi

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I am not sure what size the Australian ones come in, I got the 6 in 1 beds here in the USA (51 inch x 35.4 inches) and one round one (38 inch from side to side). I wanted the bigger 8 in 1 but they weren't available/out of stock. I did get some larger ones from vego that were 3.5 ft x 6.5 ft.

Top Bottom