Gardening Birdee bed configuration.

Gary Courtright Sr.

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Hi Mark congratulation's on your new Freeze Dryer. got ours about a year ago love it. Question can you set up the birdee beds in a keyhole garden configuration. Not as separate units but one continuous garden.? Thanks Gary

Attachments

• 20210113_142119.jpg
    20210113_142119.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 17

David Sumsion

Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Gday Gary, Are you talking about connecting the beds in some fashion? Like with storm water pipe, filled with soil, running between the beds to make a bigger micro biome?

Grandmother Goose

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
I've been wondering this myself, because if it can be done (assuming one has enough money and all the right pieces and a large enough property) it would be completely viable to create a literal labyrinth, or spell out something that can be read from the air, using Birdies garden beds. If I won a lottery I would definitely be writing to Birdies to ask them to help me create such a thing! Meanwhile, it would be nice to be able to customise the beds to make a connected single bed that can be L, E, F, H or T shaped.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I believe it isn't recommended because if your soil gets a disease, all if it is gone. And this way it's sectioned off.
I think they might be structurally stronger if kept their made size, though it is possible as far as I know! Just make sure some plants with more invasive roots don't choke the other ones out :D

Gary Courtright Sr.

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Gday Gary, Are you talking about connecting the beds in some fashion? Like with storm water pipe, filled with soil, running between the beds to make a bigger micro biome?
Hi David. Yes I have done the with wood and made a horseshoe shape bed that is a 3 ft. channel that is about 16 ft long and 12 ft across the the two long legs with a walk way in the middle so you can access both sides. It will take 6 birdee beds (6 in 1 Tall) to do this. I think I can reverse the corners to get the inside area. would use threaded rod to reinforce the beds.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi David. Yes I have done the with wood and made a horseshoe shape bed that is a 3 ft. channel that is about 16 ft long and 12 ft across the the two long legs with a walk way in the middle so you can access both sides. It will take 6 birdee beds (6 in 1 Tall) to do this. I think I can reverse the corners to get the inside area. would use threaded rod to reinforce the beds.
Don't Birdies beds already come with those reinforcement rods? They are definitely needed!

Gary Courtright Sr.

Premium Member
Climate
Arid, Desert, or Dry
Don't Birdies beds already come with those reinforcement rods? They are definitely needed!
Hi Mandy: Mine did not come with the rods, They are the 6 in 1 tall and not as long as the 8 - 1 beds which are longer (51 inches VS. 61 inches) I think the 8-1's come with the rods. also I bought mine in 2019. So far the ones I have are not bowing out on the sides. talking to my wife we may go with what you suggested of lining up the single beds in the Horseshoe pattern . It would be a lot easer to do.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Mandy: Mine did not come with the rods, They are the 6 in 1 tall and not as long as the 8 - 1 beds which are longer (51 inches VS. 61 inches) I think the 8-1's come with the rods. also I bought mine in 2019. So far the ones I have are not bowing out on the sides. talking to my wife we may go with what you suggested of lining up the single beds in the Horseshoe pattern . It would be a lot easer to do.
If you do wish to attach them all together I'd recommend putting some rods (or something else) as support, as they are made to hold their shape in the way they are sold, but might not pan out that way when combined. Either way I found that a very interesting thought! I'm working on clearing out a space for raised garden beds myself as well!

Mark

Founder
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Website
www.selfsufficientme.com
Climate
Sub-Tropical
There's a rotational design https://birdiesgardenproducts.com.a...planters/rotational-raised-garden-bed-6-in-1/

But I'm pretty sure they are exclusive to Australia...

BTW, what a neat set-up you have there @Gary Courtright Sr. it's a lifestyle magazine image right there!

I'd say (without putting words into Simon Bird's mouth - CEO Birdies) that as popularity grows his aim would be to increase product variety into the States in the future and also keep innovating creating different designs.

If you had the rectangle beds they could be configured into a keyhole but they'd still be separate and honestly, I think it would work and look pretty good!

krpga60

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Mark congratulation's on your new Freeze Dryer. got ours about a year ago love it. Question can you set up the birdee beds in a keyhole garden configuration. Not as separate units but one continuous garden.? Thanks Gary
Interesting idea!

Top Bottom