Best Secateurs

MickyC

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hello to all I’m looking for recommendations for a quality pair of Secateurs that will actually cut when required not jam up and that spring back once the cut is made I’m not cutting tree or bush branches I will be using them in the vegetable garden any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Any type, but you have to keep them oiled and clean them after every use, otherwise they seize up pretty quickly.

Unfortunately I have yet to find a set of secateurs that is maintenance free or entirely made of stainless steel so it won't rust. If you don't want to spend time maintaining them, then your only option is to get the cheapest pair you can find and replace them every 6-12 months.

They don't take much effort to maintain, you just have to undo the bolt that holds them together so they come apart into two halves, and clean them out (soapy water is fine, just like washing the dishes), let them dry, then add some oil on the parts that rub together before putting them back together. If you have a knife sharpener you can sharpen the blade as well when you have them apart, and it makes a huge difference to how easy it is to cut thicker material.

Last edited:

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Honestly wouldn't know. I still use granddad's beat-up ones. They are horrible, but if I'm annoyed enough and use a little angry force, they'll do the job.
To be fair I've never sharpened or oiled the dang thing. So I imagine just about anything would work, if you keep it up.

shep

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
@MickyC i use a pair of fiskars secateurs which werent expensive.
they work a treat for me and have copped a flogging
i wouldnt hesitate to buy them again if needed
shep

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
You know what. Anyone have a tip for sharpening them? I don't have any professional tools, but perhaps something cheap that does the trick?

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
If you want cheap, a sharpening stone is probably your best bet. Like most things that are both cheap and good, it won't be fast, in that you will need to learn the right technique in order to get satisfactory results, however it's not too difficult and I'm sure there are plenty of instructions on YouTube to get you started.

Unfortunately last weekend my Aldi "Gardenline" brand of secateurs gave up the ghost while I was cutting some particularly disagreeable lantana - the bottom jaw snapped off so no more cutting with those!

secateurs.jpg

Cas JSA

Premium Member
Climate
Sub-Tropical
The best secateurs I've found come from Aldi. I cut all sorts of things with them including small tree branches. I have two pairs, never had a problem with them. I do clean them about once a month, take them apart, wash with soapy steel wool, let them dry in the sun, and reassemble. I do the same with my hedge shears. I've never "oiled" any of my cutting tools.

Mandy Onderwater

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I've never seen a broken secateur before - wowza! The ones I use are getting quite a beating and I honestly thing they'd win if a truck drove over them. Wouldn't know about the brand though. Definitely needs a sharpen as more often than not I'm forcefully whacking it through a branch bit by bit. Not a gentle process whatsoever and quite timeconsuming. Heavy on the body too, as I frequently have back and shoulder issues.

Hmm, I do have an old sharpening stone laying around that hasn't seen use. I might give it a shot. I've just never done it before, haha.

Berkeloid

Premium Member
GOLD
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Let us know how you go with the sharpening stone! I'm sure you'll be pleasantly surprised at how well they cut once they've been sharpened. If they've never been sharpened before it probably won't take much to improve their cutting ability.

Top Bottom