Bean milk and coffee

Discussion in 'Food - Cooking, Preserving & Fermentation' started by Tim C, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Tim C

Tim C Two heads are better than one Premium Member GOLD

Looking at soymilk making recipes the other day, but didn't have any soybeans, however found a few other bean milk recipes online, all similar to making soymilk. All I had was Borlotti beans, so had a crack. It wasn't very nice. Next trip to Waikerie I got some soybeans and had another go (several different methods). Worked out the best tasting soymilk is made by pouring boiling water over the beans, leave overnight, strain and replace water, strain a few hours later. Blend the beans with fresh water. Some recipes boil the pulp with the milk, but I found this to make a bitter product, so after trying every variation I cold press the juice out through a clean tea-towel prior to boiling it.
    Now I have my technique down pat I will have another go with the Borlottis, or other beans.
    While I was researching bean/nut milks I stumbled upon someone who had roasted beans to make coffee! So today after roasting another batch of coffee, I roasted a small batch of Borlottis. They smelled a bit strange while roasting, but once ground, IT SMELLS EXACTLY LIKE COFFEE!!
    The site I saw this in said he gave his coffee connoisseur mate a cup, and he didn't pick it for a replacement!
    Haven't tried it yet though as it was beer o'clock by then.:cheers:
    :coffee:Later. Definitely would be a cheap and caffeine-free alternative.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    You are going to have to tell us how your bean coffee tasted - I can't believe you left us hanging like that :)

If you used your bean milk it could possibly be the first brew to use the same ingredients for different components to make it up!

3. Tim C

Yeah, pretty amazing. Maybe I can make sugar from beans too? I'd better google the basic chemicals in beans and whether there is a simple synthesis/catalysis to make sugar! Probably not.:(

4. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Now you're pushing it... :D

5. Tim C

I just made a billy up, the Borlotti bean coffee was ok- if you like black and gold instant coffee, it's probably on par-quite amazing, all things considered. I'll have another crack at Borlotti bean milk in a few days...

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. Mark

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    That is quite amazing actually. People making all sorts of teas is one thing but coffee from a legume is quite another! Well there ya go Borlotti coffee coming to a store near you... And, Borlotti milk!

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tim C

Got some White beans to try for milk now. Not sure what exact breed, just Gaganis Foods White beans..........

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jenni

Jenni Well-Known Member Premium Member

A coffee without the caffeine. Now I know I would go through withdrawals... :(

• Agree Agree x 1