Banana tree help

Budlight2600

Jun 28, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hello there, I have had two banana trees for about 2 weeks and have been trying to learn as much as I can about them. My trees are looking a little sad but still producing new leaves every week. Currently the leaves are starting to develop a red line around the edges and new leaves are light green, the leaves also look very sad/droopy. From what I have read this may be a nitrogen deficiency? Was also thinking sunburn is why they look sad. Any tips would be super helpful! I attached some photos that should span a week or so and the close up pictures is the red I was referring to.

Attachments

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 25, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
Hi Budlight,
Where about do you live? So we know what climate you are in :)
Cheers!

Marika

Premium Member
GOLD
Jun 25, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
If it were me I’d hang back a bit and observe.
They are newly transplanted so will go through a bit of a shock before they settle into their new home.
Best if you keep an eye on watering though - as a tropical plant - browning edges on leaves can be a sign of dehydration and a lack of humidity.
Hope this helps!
Cheers

ClissAT

Valued Member
Premium Member
GOLD
Sep 27, 2015
Pomona, Qld
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Things I noticed were that the surrounding soil looks very acid due to all those weeds growing.
So the plant might be showing some acidity issues like calcium deficiency.
I can't see any nitrogen deficiency in the plant you've shown us.
Bananas like neutral pH or slightly acid 5.5 -6.5 pH range rich well drained compost rich soil.
With lots of water and high humidity and not a lot of wind or bright sun.
Sun and wind are ok as long as it has good protection which yours does not have yet because it is planted right out ion the middle of the lawn.
So test your pH and adjust with lime if necessary. Add lots of compost (real compost, not bought in a bag from the big box store) If you don't have real compost, get as many different manures as you can find and mix them all together making sure the whole is nice and moist but not dripping wet. Leave a couple of days to form a spongy texture and for the heat to dissipate, then dig in several handfuls of that in around each tree.

Bananas also like a good amount of blood and bone fertilizer. They are heavy feeders so go heavy on the fertilizer and in particular potassium because the flower and bunch is being formed right now in the base of the trunk. Depending on the variety, it will produce 45-60 leaves then it will flower. But that flower is in need of potassium right now as it forms.
Some varieties have red tingeing along the leaf edges and stem so I would find a better picture of your variety to be sure that isn't what's happening. Also, the sun will change the colouration.

DivingTemptress

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Nassau Bay, Texas USA
Climate
Sub-Tropical
Hi Budlight,

our banana trees get some shade from fence and shed while yours are in middle of your yard. You have your work cut out for you in our Texas heat. Water early in the day and give the leaves a 'shower' again before sunset probably. It should get easier after Labor Day.

You might want to move it to fence corner to get some afternoon shade.

good luck and happy gardening !

P J, the Dirt Diva