Question Banana Harvest Questions

DivingTemptress

Premium Member
GOLD
Feb 7, 2020
Nassau Bay, Texas USA
Climate
Sub-Tropical
We have a large stand of finger bananas that are 15-20 feet tall. We were told we were buying Ice Cream banana, but now I am thinking it is really Nam Wa. It doesn't really matter because they are delicious !!

We have a bunch of bananas with about 10 hands with 12-16 bananas in each hand. Last year we could not eat them all and gave away loads to friends and co-workers and still had some go to waste.

So this year we don't want to cut the whole bunch down at once, and we need your advise.

Can we pull just a hand or 2 at a time to ripen and extend the harvest ?

if so, should we clip from the top or the bottom of the bunch ?

Should we cut off the blossom or leave it ?

In the past, we have cut down the tree that bore fruit and chopped it into pieces to fertilize the rest of the stand. So every time they bear fruit, we have cut that tree down. This year we need to cut away some pups as there is very little space in that corner. . . I love abundance.

Thanks for your input and Happy Gardening !
P J, the Dirt Diva

banana bunch closeup 6-20.jpg

spector

Jul 15, 2020
Climate
Temperate (all seasons)
I cannot express the jealousy I have that you can grow bananas. :) Bananas and mangoes are two of my favourite. Can't grow either here, and am unwilling to relocate solely for my fruit amore.

Reactions: DivingTemptress

Mel M

Premium Member
GOLD
Jul 9, 2020
Climate
Sub-Tropical
I'm new to growing bananas, but there are lots of YouTube videos about this. It seems like the ones at the top ripen first, so I assume you'd harvest those first if leaving on the plant. Doesn't seem like a bad idea to me. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

Reactions: DivingTemptress