Avocado tree dropping leaves

Discussion in 'Fruit & Vegetable Growing' started by Flatland, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Flatland

Flatland Well-Known Member Premium Member

Climate:
    Arid, Desert, or Dry
    My avocado is coming into its third summer. It is dropping a lot of older leaves. It looks healthy & has lots of baby leaves coming on. Because of bad things happening in my life it did get ignored for a couple of months so could have dried out.
    Is leaf dropping normal, should I worry do anything about it apart from watering it?

2. ClissAT

ClissAT Valued Member Premium Member GOLD

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yes they don't like drying out at all.
    Much like they don't like being too wet.
    When you water it, start with just a little every day or you might find it drops even more leaves & really gets its knickers in a twist!
    I planted some recently & within 2wks they both got the sulks loosing all leaves due to strong drying wind even though I had wind breaks up & now we've had all this rain so they probably wont survive.

3. Mark

Mark Founder Staff Member

Climate:
    Sub-Tropical
    Yeah, avos are very fickle (as we know) and sadly leaf drop usually is a sign of an impending slow death as it's often hard to pull a young avocado tree back from stress but it is possible.

I've tried everything to save them and always failed eventually after a long protracted period of leaf drop and regrowth... We have three young trees doing well at the moment but I'll keep being nervous until they are at least 6 feet tall after then they should be able to sustain some stress without going into an unstoppable death spiral.